Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Builder Videos???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Builder Videos???

Is there a series of videos somewhere that walk through building a strategy from beginning to end? Something that has some meat on it. If I have a variable called

TodayVolatility()

and I say

TodayVolatility = StdDev(Close, 30)[0];

Where in the Strategy Builder process do I enter the above formula?

Hello dmking,

Thank you for the post.

You can find a video which walks through creating a strategy in the builder in the following link: https://youtu.be/HCyt90GAs9k

To create what you are asking, you would need to make a user variable and then set it from a Set,

If you specifically wanted a variable TodayVolatility, you would need to open the "Inputs and variables" page and add a Variable. Select Double and give it the name TodayVolatility.
    In a set without conditions defined (Set1) create a new Action. For the action select Misc -> Set TodayVolatility. Hover your mouse over the value field and click "Set". This will bring up a dialog where you can pick an indicator and configure it, this will set the value of the indicator to the variable.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jesse, that was fast.

Thanks for the link and the feedback. Man, I just want to trade, but it looks like I'm going to have to become a programmer to get to where I want.

D

Comment

Jesse you wrote:
        In a set without conditions defined (Set1) create a new Action. For the action select Misc -> Set TodayVolatility. Hover your mouse over the value field and click "Set". This will bring up a dialog where you can pick an indicator and configure it, this will set the value of the indicator to the variable.
        So I created TodayVolatility. How do I create a "New Action" to invoke Set? Where's the dialog for that?

Comment

Hello dmking,

The Action section is the bottom half of a "Set" page, or the Do the following section. For example, going into Set1 you'll see the page is divided in half, the bottom section.

You would need a set which has no conditions defined in the top half so that the bottom half is executed for every bar (assuming you want to set this value per bar to the variable). Set 1 would be my suggestion as that ensures that a value is set first before you may later use it, however, this depends on your design.

Comment

Bear with me Jesse.

I'm in the "Inputs and Variables" section of Strategy Builder. How Do I get to a Set Page? If I go to "Conditions and Actions" I see a Set 1. Is that where you want me to go. If so, from what you write there would be no conditions. I would then put the formula in the bottom half (Do the following)... Is this right?

Comment

Hello dmking,

That would be correct, the "Set" pages are in the conditions and actions segment of the builder. Set 1 should be blank by default in a new strategy so you should just see two empty areas. The bottom half of the Conditions and Actions page would be where you need to configure this.

Comment

I got it Jesse... Thank you for you guidance and patience.

D

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:00 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Waxavi
                by Waxavi

Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
                0 responses