Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Percentage retracement/extension from swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Percentage retracement/extension from swing

Hello,

Can you please guide me on how to create in strategy builder an indicator that will draw me the percentage of retracement and extension from the last swing for retracement and the second last swing for extensions - for example done by ZigZag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DT.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1053515
    Thank you in advance,
    Ciprian V.

Hello CiprianV,

Thank you for the question.

The strategy builder specifically would not be able to build indicators, however, you can do basic drawings such as arrows and lines from a builder strategy and its conditions. An indicator would need to be manually coded as they can be more complex or render to the chart in different ways.

For what you are asking, you could draw text with a builder strategy however you would not be able to do the math required to calculate the values here directly in the builder. This would be something that would need to be manually coded, likely as an indicator if that is specifically what you are after.

If you are trying to expand on an existing indicator or do something similar, it is possible to duplicate and modify the stock indicators. Taking a look at the zig zags code gives some idea of the complexity required to do what it does for finding the zig zags. Most indicators can also be referenced from other indicators, for example, if you wanted to calculate the percentages from each zig zag point, you could call the zig-zag in another indicator to process its data and draw new items.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you NinjaTrader_Jesse for your reply,

Will it be possible in the strategy builder to draw fibonacci’s from the last 2 opposing fractals? Maybe this is easier to be done, or possible?

Thanks,
      Ciprian V.

Comment

Hello CiprianV,

You are able to draw the various Fibonacci tools using the builder, however, it depends on the condition if what you are asking is possible or not. What fractals are you speaking of, is this the Fractals indicator or something else? If this is an indicator with a Plot that produces a value, you can very likely use that for a condition in the builder such as comparing two previous bars values.

Comment

The Wiseman Fractal that is in the platform included can be used to plot a value?

Comment

Hello CiprianV,

While I see this can be selected, I don't see that this indicator has any plots and this is also not listed in the available system indicator list in the help guide. I don't believe this item could specifically be used for signals.

The indicator being used would need to have a plot which produces some kind of value so that it could be compared.

Comment

Does this indicator from the ninjatrader ecosystem creates a plot for the value (sorry for asking this basic question, but I don’t know how to check it ... yet)

This is a conversion of the NT7 indicator Fractals by Bill Williams. Please contact the original author for any questions or comments. 09-13-2021: – Added call to Update() in outputs to improve use in a strategy 11/02/15: – Added rays to connect last two fractal points and extend right – Added ability to set ray/text […]

Thanks,
              Ciprian V.

Comment

Hello CiprianV,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried the item you linked and it looks like this does have plots so technically it can be selected however I don't see that they plot a continuous value. This plots specific points as a bar plot so this may be more difficult to form a condition with. I went a step further and printed the value and see that it remains 0, so this would not like be able to be used. It seems the logic for this indicator is setting past plot values to produce a visual only type of indicator.

Comment

Can you assist me on how to check if an indicator plots a value into strategy builder? and I will search by myself for the indicators that plots the value

Thank you so much

Comment

Hello CiprianV,

Yes, the easiest way to check what a plot outputs would be to print its value, you can do this in the builder.

Create a new strategy with no conditions
                    In set 1, create an action with no conditions
                    For the action select Misc -> Print
                    Hover the mouse over the value and click Set
                    in the window that appears, again hover the mouse over the input and click Set
                    A list of available options will appear, from that, you can choose indicators and their "Value Plot". The Value plot is what would be printed.
                    Finally, go to the control center New -> NinjaScript Output window and then run the strategy on a chart to produce the output.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                    Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM
                    7 responses
                    0 likes