Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

At what times, if ever, does a chart based strategy auto-reload itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what times, if ever, does a chart based strategy auto-reload itself?

Hi, I know that pressing F5 for a chart will reload a strategy, but are there circumstances that a chart/strategy will auto-reload a strategy by itself? I ask because I've been living fast-and-loose in terms of my development workflow (developing/changing the strategy on one chart, while keeping the same un-updated strategy performing live/real trades on another chart). I've gotten away with this so far by simply not manually updating the strategy on the live-trading chart, but I would like to be aware of the circumstance that the strategy would update itself if such possibilities exist.

Thanks!

Hello Calebg,

For a strategy, this should only occur when you request a change which requires a reload such as F5 or disconnecting/reconnecting. This can also happen if you lose connection and have the strategies connection loss settings set to recalculate. Other changes such as compiles should not affect a running instance, however, it can be good practice to do a test compile while running the script on Sim101. This just confirms that no errors happen and it stays running, this is mainly only important if you are doing very advanced coding such as using custom objects or custom inheritance.

If you want to be certain that you don't affect your running script in any way, I would suggest making a duplicate and then running that. This simply prevents any possibility for you to create problems with the running script and its file. For example, you could do a Save As at the beginning of the day and give the strategy the unique name for that day then run that instance while editing the original file. This also gives you a sort of checkpoint system to revert back to in case some changes were made and you can't remember specifically what you did.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
    0 responses
    1 view
    0 likes
    Last Post CortexZenUSA  
    Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
    0 responses