Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

viewing charts on different timeframes in strategy analyser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

viewing charts on different timeframes in strategy analyser

Hi,

I need to run my strategy currently on high resolution bars it seems to get the correct price fills using the managed order handling in NT8. For example, if I use limit orders, and set stop losses if I run on 1 minute bars I don't get filled at the correct prices.
    I'm using "OnMarketData" to test for certain times of day, and entry signals then use EnterLongLimit(entryPrice), setStopLoss and SetProfit Target.

I mention the above in case there is a better way to do this.

In any case, I get the correct price fill/targets etc if I run the strategy in the Strategy analyser on 10 tick bars. If I run on 1 min bars I don't.

The issue is that I want to be checking on the chart if my strategy, trailing stops, entries etc are all correct, and want to be viewing the entries marked and objects I draw on the 1 min or 5 min chart.

How can I see this chart (eg 1min chart) from the SA for each instrument if I run on 10 tick data input??

thanks

Hello PolarBear,

This would be achieved with intra-bar granularity by adding a secondary series to the script.

Below is a link to a post about intra-bar granularity.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello PolarBear,

This would be achieved with intra-bar granularity by adding a secondary series to the script.

Below is a link to a post about intra-bar granularity.
      https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...297#post491297
      thanks for the quick reply. Some comments:
      1) I already have 3 other dataseries added to my strategy (1 min, 2 min, 1 tick data). I added the tick data one for higher resolution already but it doesn't seem to have helped (see code below and #2 point):
      Code:
      // init
      				AddDataSeries(BarsPeriodType.Minute, 1);
      				AddDataSeries(BarsPeriodType.Minute, 2);	// add 2 minute data series
      				AddDataSeries(BarsPeriodType.Tick, 1);	// add tick data
      2) I do place my orders in the "OnMarketData" function as mentioned and checking: if (marketDataUpdate.MarketDataType == MarketDataType.Last). I don't use the OnBarUpdate() function for placing the order. I use the BarsInProgress variable to check for exit conditions of my trades for 1 and 2 min trails (hence the init dataseries additions above). Is this a problem?

3) Other comments on the post you linked:
      a) Order fill resolution set to high -- this won't work as I'm running multiple instruments in the strategy analyser
      b) tick replay -- "TickReplay does not provide fill prices for accurate order fills"

To re-iterate, my exits are filling accurate as I'm controlling this. My entry and exits set with limit order and setStopLoss are not.

Comment

Hello PolarBear,

What BarsInProgress value is used for the order submission?

May I see the line of code for the order submission?

Comment

Hello PolarBear,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get this to work. I had noticed in the strategy analyser when I set the input series to tick 1, the entries weren’t accurate. I played around a little and saw that if I ran tick 10 bars it was. Unsure if this is related to the number of ticks passing through if these are lower volume stocks or not.

I changed the third data series I added from 1 to 10 tick and the entries were correct.

Do you have any comment as to why altering it up to a higher resultion tick bar I would be getting this effect? Possibly something with the data?

Thanks

Comment

Hello PolarBear,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get this to work. I had noticed in the strategy analyser when I set the input series to tick 1, the entries weren’t accurate. I played around a little and saw that if I ran tick 10 bars it was. Unsure if this is related to the number of ticks passing through if these are lower volume stocks or not.

I changed the third data series I added from 1 to 10 tick and the entries were correct.

Do you have any comment as to why altering it up to a higher resultion tick bar I would be getting this effect? Possibly something with the data?

Thanks

Comment

Hello PolarBear,

I would expect 1 tick resolution to have higher accuracy than a 1 tick series.

If an order is placed, it would fill with the first single tick with a valid price.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post trilliantrader  
              Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
              1 response
              0 likes