Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to use Momentum(20)[0] to identify and entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use Momentum(20)[0] to identify and entry

Hi,
    Dear team!
    I'm new to NinjaTrader. I'm testing a strategy.But my strategy can't identify the big momentum time.

I do notice that there is a Momentum(20)[0] function.

Can you give me an example of how to use it to identify the momentum,or how to use
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).png
Views:	443
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1061335Slope(EMA(20), 5, 0) to identify it? Thank you so much!!
    Last edited by williamzz; 06-20-2019, 02:49 AM.

Hello williamzz,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums.

From the help guide, the definition of the momentum indicator is: "By measuring the amount that a security's price has changed over a given time span, the Momentum indicator provides an indication of a market's velocity and to some degree, a measure of the extent to which a trend still holds true. It can also be helpful in spotting likely reversal points." https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../?momentum.htm I recommend that you add the indicator to a chart of the instruments of interest and visually review the movement of the indicator compare to the price movement and determine for yourself what an entry condition would be. You can also vary the "period" that the indicator is calculated over to gain a different time perspective. You can also use multiple Momentum instances each with a different period and from this again you might see what looks good to you for an entry.

From the help guide, the definition of Slope is: "Returns a measurement of the steepness of a price series (y value) measured by the change over time (x value). The return value can also be thought of as the ratio between the startBarsAgo and endBarsAgo parameters passed to the method." https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...-us/?slope.htm You can apply most any input to Slope and in your example, you are obtaining the slope of a 20 period EMA of a 5 bar range. I recommend printing out the values of slope on each bar so that again you can review what values relate to the steepness on interest (the help guide example shows a print statement). Please note that this will be different from one instrument to the next because the price references are different. The Slope allows you to specify both a start and end bar for the slope determination so again you may want to plug in different values or again you may ultimately want to use more than one slope measurement to see the change of interest.

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Tim-c, Today, 02:10 PM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
      Started by Taddypole, Today, 02:47 PM