Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Enums or Drop-Down Lists as Strategy Parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enums or Drop-Down Lists as Strategy Parameters

Hi,

In strategy builder, the parameter selections include only the most typical variable types (int, string, etc.). What I am looking for is to be able to add a parameter that consists of an Enum or String List that is selectable by the user interface using drop-down or similar selection mechanism in the Strategies UI. I don't see any way to do this manually either with or without strategy builder.

Am I missing something, or is this not supported?

Thanks,

Charlie

Hello ChazJ,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

The strategy builder is not capable of generating a drop down list.

You can create this using Ninjascript, which is based on C# programming language, in the Ninjascript editor.

Please see this working example from the help guide tips section: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ned_parame.htm

You can also look at the indicator Pivots as another example of using Enums. The indicators code is available for viewing.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you very much for your quick reply. It was very helpful. I was able to achieve what I was looking for by defining an enum in my Strategy code, then defining a default variable as that enum type with a default value in 'OnStateChange'. NT picked it up nicely and displays it in the Properties dialog as a drop-down list of values to choose from. Perfect.

Thanks again.

Comment

For those who might find this topic in the future - forgot to add that I also had to define the Property:

[NinjaScriptProperty]
        [Display(Name="MyAddedProperty", Description="Description", Order=3, GroupName="Parameters")]
        public PropertyType MyAddedProperty
        { get; set; }

where PropertyType is the Enum I defined. This, I am sure, is the key to displaying it in the Properties Window of the Strategy.

ChazJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChazJ View Post
          Thank you very much for your quick reply. It was very helpful. I was able to achieve what I was looking for by defining an enum in my Strategy code, then defining a default variable as that enum type with a default value in 'OnStateChange'. NT picked it up nicely and displays it in the Properties dialog as a drop-down list of values to choose from. Perfect.

Thanks again.
          Could you share your strategy example file with enums? I see codes in indicators, but having trouble to transfer it to strategy script file.

Comment

Hello UltraNIX,

Thanks for your post.

Here is a link to an educational example in the help guide of working with an Enum: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ned_parame.htm

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, I found the code in one of the strategies, adapted it for my strategy and it worked. However, I found another issue: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...-items-in-enum

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by pechtri, 06-22-2023, 02:31 AM
              9 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
              Started by frankthearm, 04-18-2024, 09:08 AM
              16 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton