Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Convert Backtest Results to Live Strategy Outcomes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert Backtest Results to Live Strategy Outcomes

I'm getting good backtest results on Strategy Analyzer with a couple Builder Strategies, so I have a few questions about translating these results into automated trading strategy live performance.

1. How do I know whether my backtest data is corrupted or up-to-par?

2. If the backtest data is accurate, how well will these results translate into live performance and is there anything I can do to improve it, like running the strategy through optimizer?

I would greatly appreciate any help on converting positive automated trading strategy backtest results into real winning trades!

Thank you Forum & Support, you're awesome.

~Matt

Hello Tagliareni,

Thank you for your note.

If you were concerned about data integrity you could compare the chart vs another data provider, or you could go Control Center >Tools>Historical Data and look at the contracts data points vs another provider.

How well a strategy preformed historically is no indication of how it will perform in the future.

I would suggest the following link in our helpguide,

You could use the optimizer to improve how a strategy preformed historically, however this would not necessarily translate into better future results, you may be interested in researching topics such as “over optimization”.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your answer. I understand the risks inherent in trading and backtesting. I am not asking anyone to guarantee my results. I'm simply asking that, since backtest results are going well, what can I do to better prepare to these strategies to go live? Just looking for a little advice from someone who has done this before.

I'm also wondering whether my own historical data is accurate and whether I should clear it out an download it all again.

Comment

Hello Tagliareni,

I would suggest backtesting with intrabar granularity for most accurate results, see
        You can submit orders to different Bars objects. This allows you the flexibility of submitting orders to different timeframes. Like in live trading, taking entry conditions from a 5min chart means executing your order as soon as possible instead of waiting until the next 5min bar starts building. You can achieve this by

I would suggest you test your strategy using market replay too. So you can watch the system execute as if in real time, then you can scrutinize the entries and prices.

You could discount your profits by a factor, perhaps by taking total trades number * 3 ticks for say slippage.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
        Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post wzgy0920  
        Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes