Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

VIX Daily close needed for my strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIX Daily close needed for my strategy

Hi,

I'm on 8.0.19.0 64-bit with ninjatrader continuum for my feed. My live strategy needs VIX daily closing, I tried adding VIX but the chart doesn't load. How do I get the VIX daily closing. Thanks.

Hello dkbyond,

Thank you for posting.

I see that you're using an older version of NinjaTrader 8. To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below:
    • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
    • Click on the link: http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
    • Enter your license key and press Submit
    • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
    • Select 'Download'
    • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.
    Once updated, you need to be enabled for Indices data to see ^VIX Index. I would suggest emailing [email protected] to confirm if you are enabled for data.

Please let me know if you require any additional assistance.
    Sergey S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Updated it to 8.0.19.1 64-bit but still no ^VIX data, so have emailed [email protected].

Comment

Hi All,

If anyone looking for ^VIX data, then please be warned ninjatrder doesn't offer it. They instead would direct you to subscribe to kinetic data feed, which is $65 base fee + fees for the data feed you choose per month. So if you want just the ^VIX data, it will be $72/month.

I got a ninjatrader lifetime license after seeing the ^VIX in the instrument list, only to discover later it is there for no reason and it doesn't load up. If you try and reach them for help, they will first ask you to contact brokerage or platform support at ninjatrader, at the end of it, there is only one option that you have to pay additional monthly fees.

If anyone considering ninjatrader lifetime license, be warned that their feed doesn't provide the ^VIX data. It's beyond common sense, considering how important the ^VIX data is for traders.

Comment

I've merged your posts together into one topic for continuity of the same subject.

I apologize for any confusion. NinjaTrader Continuum is a CQG-based feed. CQG doesn't provide the ^VIX index to NinjaTrader. Here is a list of the supported indices through CQG-based connections:

The instrument itself appears in the instrument list because it is, in general, possible to receive data for ^VIX assuming that you have a connection that supports the instrument.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Continuing on our discussion. My understanding is, as I have a live funded account with Ameritrade, I can connect to Ameritrade data feed for the ^VIX data and Continuum for the futures data feed. For that I'll need multi broker license key. I have emailed the concerned department for the same. Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

I have got the details on how to get the multi broker key and the cost related to it. Now having burnt my fingers once, want to make sure if it will work for me.

My understanding from the documentation in this link (https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...onnections.htm) is explained below, please confirm if I got it right.

My live strategy let's say is buy if /ES ema crossover and ^VIX ema crossover, considering I get the /ES data from continuum and the ^VIX data from Ameritrade, I should be good for live trading based on my startegy, right? The data feed for both would be simultaneously live?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, you can configure your connections to have index data come from TD Ameritrade and futures data come from Continuum.That configuration specifically is covered here:

Before purchasing the multibroker key, I'd recommend plugging in the simulation key and ensuring you can get the data working as you expect it to:

@SIM-A82F-D583-40B1-AE74-B79F-705D-1952

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Like the connection guide in this link, i don't see the td ameritrade option on the left under connection--->configure.

Comment

If you're still using your live original single broker license key, I suspect your key is not enabled for use with TD Ameritrade. You need to substitute the simulation key I provided or obtain a multi broker key.

Comment

my bad. its working with the demo license.

Comment

Attached is the screen shot of the ^VIX chart i was able to load, tried all settings but the history is not being loaded on the chart. Am i missing something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vix.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1079740

Comment

I do not experience this when I use a TD Ameritrade connection to pull up ^VIX data:Earlier you had mentioned multiple connections and we had discussed configuring multiple connection data preferences. Can you provide a screenshot of your real-time and historical preferred connections within Tools > Options > Market Data?

Are you connected to only TD Ameritrade? If not, please disconnect from all data feeds then reconnect to TD Ameritrade only

What is the 'days to load' of the chart? To check, right-click on the chart and select 'Data series'.

Comment

I got it to load by setting vix symbol as $vix.x in the instrument settings, so its loading on the charts now, the historical too. But my strategies with vix are not picking up the data. will play around a little bit and update you. thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Christopher_R  
                            Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                            166 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post sidlercom80