• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Entering on limit order instead of market

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Entering on limit order instead of market

    I created a decent strategy but in the builder I have little knowledge on how to structure the code to enter on limit orders instead of market. Market kills the strategy when running live. Anyone can offer a suggestion or point me towards a learning resource on how to add limit entries for strategies ?

    #2
    Hello Teebone21,

    In the Strategy Builder this would be 'Enter long position by a limit order' or 'Enter short position by a limit order'.

    Stop/limit orders will automatically cancel at the end of the bar unless they are resubmitted on each new bar. (Meaning re-submit the order on new bars as long as you would like the order to remain alive. Don't re-submit the order if you would like the order to automatically expire when the bar closes.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello Teebone21,

      In the Strategy Builder this would be 'Enter long position by a limit order' or 'Enter short position by a limit order'.

      Stop/limit orders will automatically cancel at the end of the bar unless they are resubmitted on each new bar. (Meaning re-submit the order on new bars as long as you would like the order to remain alive. Don't re-submit the order if you would like the order to automatically expire when the bar closes.
      does anything need to be added to "limit price" box? When i leave it blank my strategy orders dont show after complied

      Comment


        #4
        Hello Teebone21,

        Yes, the limit price of the order will need to be set for the limit order.

        You can hard code a price or you can set the value to a price series or an indicator series value
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
          Hello Teebone21,

          Yes, the limit price of the order will need to be set for the limit order.

          You can hard code a price or you can set the value to a price series or an indicator series value
          EXCELLENT i didnt know i could set it to indicator value. I think that will fix my issue seeing as how price isnt a variable in my strategy.

          Comment


            #6
            I might need some help with that tough lol. Anyone can assist via Skype ? I am still new to this

            Comment


              #7
              Hello Teebone21,

              Thank you for your reply.

              Chelsea is out of the office today, but I've made a quick video to demonstrate how to use an indicator value as the price for a limit order:

              https://www.screencast.com/t/1xHMMYCO

              Keep in mind that not all indicators give a value that could be used to set the price, so you'll want to test any indicator you use to make sure it returns a price first.

              Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
              Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ninjatrader_kate View Post
                hello teebone21,

                thank you for your reply.

                Chelsea is out of the office today, but i've made a quick video to demonstrate how to use an indicator value as the price for a limit order:

                https://www.screencast.com/t/1xhmmyco

                keep in mind that not all indicators give a value that could be used to set the price, so you'll want to test any indicator you use to make sure it returns a price first.

                Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
                thank you!. I noticed the link has expired I was not able to review it
                Last edited by Teebone21; 01-19-2020, 04:08 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hello Teebone21,

                  I've checked the link to the video posted by Kate and I am finding this is working.

                  Please try another browser and let me know if this does not work as well.
                  Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                    Hello Teebone21,

                    I've checked the link to the video posted by Kate and I am finding this is working.

                    Please try another browser and let me know if this does not work as well.
                    Thank you Chelsea. Its working on firefox but not my usual browser. Also is their a guide that gives insight on strategy limit orders which gives you directions on how to enter at open of new candle after signal candle has closed ?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hello Teebone21,

                      The Strategy Builder 301 training video is the video guide for the Strategy Builder.
                      https://youtu.be/HCyt90GAs9k

                      The Help Guide is the written guide to the Strategy Builder.
                      https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...gy_builder.htm

                      If the strategy is running with Calculate set to On bar close, the condition will not be checked until the bar is fully closed. Any resulting order is placed at the open of the next bar.
                      For orders placed on the same bar Calculate must be On each tick or On price change in real-time, and must have TickReplay for historical.
                      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                        Hello Teebone21,

                        The Strategy Builder 301 training video is the video guide for the Strategy Builder.
                        https://youtu.be/HCyt90GAs9k

                        The Help Guide is the written guide to the Strategy Builder.
                        https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...gy_builder.htm

                        If the strategy is running with Calculate set to On bar close, the condition will not be checked until the bar is fully closed. Any resulting order is placed at the open of the next bar.
                        For orders placed on the same bar Calculate must be On each tick or On price change in real-time, and must have TickReplay for historical.
                        Excellent. Good homework for this three day weekend.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Alright last question for all you pros. I want to place a limit entry at 4 ticks from the close of the previous heiken ashi bar. How is this accomplished?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hello Teebone21,

                            When using the HeikenAshi bar type with Calculate set to On bar close:

                            EnterLongLimit(Close[0] - 4 * TickSize);
                            Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

                            Comment

                            Latest Posts

                            Collapse

                            Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by superkolleech, Today, 12:46 AM
                            1 response
                            12 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post MojoJojo  
                            Started by davidwade, Today, 02:51 AM
                            0 responses
                            3 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post davidwade  
                            Started by aviat72, 04-26-2020, 09:41 PM
                            10 responses
                            92 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post kissandfly  
                            Started by healthooa, Today, 01:28 AM
                            0 responses
                            8 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post healthooa  
                            Started by harjinderjit, Yesterday, 08:24 PM
                            0 responses
                            20 views
                            0 likes
                            Last Post harjinderjit  
                            Working...
                            X