Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Entering on limit order instead of market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entering on limit order instead of market

I created a decent strategy but in the builder I have little knowledge on how to structure the code to enter on limit orders instead of market. Market kills the strategy when running live. Anyone can offer a suggestion or point me towards a learning resource on how to add limit entries for strategies ?

Hello Teebone21,

In the Strategy Builder this would be 'Enter long position by a limit order' or 'Enter short position by a limit order'.

Stop/limit orders will automatically cancel at the end of the bar unless they are resubmitted on each new bar. (Meaning re-submit the order on new bars as long as you would like the order to remain alive. Don't re-submit the order if you would like the order to automatically expire when the bar closes.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello Teebone21,

In the Strategy Builder this would be 'Enter long position by a limit order' or 'Enter short position by a limit order'.

Stop/limit orders will automatically cancel at the end of the bar unless they are resubmitted on each new bar. (Meaning re-submit the order on new bars as long as you would like the order to remain alive. Don't re-submit the order if you would like the order to automatically expire when the bar closes.
      does anything need to be added to "limit price" box? When i leave it blank my strategy orders dont show after complied

Comment

Hello Teebone21,

Yes, the limit price of the order will need to be set for the limit order.

You can hard code a price or you can set the value to a price series or an indicator series value

Comment

Hello Teebone21,

Yes, the limit price of the order will need to be set for the limit order.

You can hard code a price or you can set the value to a price series or an indicator series value
          EXCELLENT i didnt know i could set it to indicator value. I think that will fix my issue seeing as how price isnt a variable in my strategy.

Comment

I might need some help with that tough lol. Anyone can assist via Skype ? I am still new to this

Comment

Hello Teebone21,

Thank you for your reply.

Chelsea is out of the office today, but I've made a quick video to demonstrate how to use an indicator value as the price for a limit order:

Keep in mind that not all indicators give a value that could be used to set the price, so you'll want to test any indicator you use to make sure it returns a price first.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
              Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by ninjatrader_kate View Post
                hello teebone21,

thank you for your reply.

Chelsea is out of the office today, but i've made a quick video to demonstrate how to use an indicator value as the price for a limit order:

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

keep in mind that not all indicators give a value that could be used to set the price, so you'll want to test any indicator you use to make sure it returns a price first.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
                thank you!. I noticed the link has expired I was not able to review it
                Last edited by Teebone21; 01-19-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Hello Teebone21,

I've checked the link to the video posted by Kate and I am finding this is working.

Please try another browser and let me know if this does not work as well.

Comment

Hello Teebone21,

I've checked the link to the video posted by Kate and I am finding this is working.

Please try another browser and let me know if this does not work as well.
                    Thank you Chelsea. Its working on firefox but not my usual browser. Also is their a guide that gives insight on strategy limit orders which gives you directions on how to enter at open of new candle after signal candle has closed ?

Comment

Hello Teebone21,

The Strategy Builder 301 training video is the video guide for the Strategy Builder.

The Help Guide is the written guide to the Strategy Builder.

If the strategy is running with Calculate set to On bar close, the condition will not be checked until the bar is fully closed. Any resulting order is placed at the open of the next bar.
                      For orders placed on the same bar Calculate must be On each tick or On price change in real-time, and must have TickReplay for historical.

Comment

Hello Teebone21,

The Strategy Builder 301 training video is the video guide for the Strategy Builder.

The Help Guide is the written guide to the Strategy Builder.

If the strategy is running with Calculate set to On bar close, the condition will not be checked until the bar is fully closed. Any resulting order is placed at the open of the next bar.
                        For orders placed on the same bar Calculate must be On each tick or On price change in real-time, and must have TickReplay for historical.
                        Excellent. Good homework for this three day weekend.

Comment

Alright last question for all you pros. I want to place a limit entry at 4 ticks from the close of the previous heiken ashi bar. How is this accomplished?

Comment

Hello Teebone21,

When using the HeikenAshi bar type with Calculate set to On bar close:

EnterLongLimit(Close[0] - 4 * TickSize);

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                            47 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post aligator  
                            Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                            0 responses