Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy using PositionAccount vs Strategy Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is enabled but when position was created by strategy that is applied to the chart it did not change to Exit Short?

Comment

Hello DTSSTS,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I may not have been clear, I suggested using the strategy LongShortToolbar as an example of using buttons on the chart to accomplish your goals. The action of the buttons will only affect the orders with the strategy the buttons are in and would not affect any other strategy. You would have to incorporate the button coding into your code (or vice versa). The LongShorttoolsbars is basically an example of how to create/add buttons and then use their actions within a strategy context.
      Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ok seems you could code in the buttons of the standard chart trader

Comment

PaulH In my indicator development with buttons to trade a secondary instrument with some help from NinjaTrader Staff (you I believe) we came up with this for entries

Order mar****rder = account.CreateOrder(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrument.Get Instrument(Symbol2), OrderAction.Buy, OrderType.Market, OrderEntry.Automated, TimeInForce.Day, DefaultQuantity, 0, 0, string.Empty, "Long2 conditional", new DateTime(), null);
          account.Submit(new Order[] { mar****rder });

works as expected

I am now adding a button for exits and have 2 issues I have not resolved with about 20 different approaches here is what i have for exit which i believe will work BUT I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE DefaultQuanitity to current position of that secondary instrument AS we might scale in after initial DefaultQuantity and position would be a greater number of contracts. I have tried many replacements for the code DefaultQuantity without success

Order mar****rder = account.CreateOrder(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrument.Get Instrument(Symbol2), OrderAction.Sell, OrderType.Market, OrderEntry.Automated, TimeInForce.Day, DefaultQuantity, 0, 0, string.Empty, "", new DateTime(), null);

2nd issue is I would also like to have the exit include condition to insure there is an Open Position before the Exit order can be triggered. without that then the button could actually create another unwanted position

Again i have tried many unsuccessful attempts and research many help guide pages without success - below are some of those

// && NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Alert.AlertCallback(NinjaT rader.Cbi.Instrument.GetInstrument(Symbol2) == (NinjaTrader.Cbi.Position.MarketPosition.Long))
          // && NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Alert.AlertCallback(NinjaT rader.Cbi.Instrument.GetInstrument(Symbol2) == (NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Alert.AlertCallback(Ninja Trader.Cbi.Position.MarketPosition.Long))

// && (((NinjaTrader.Cbi.Position.MarketPosition) Instrument.GetInstrument(Symbol2))) == (NinjaTrader.Cbi.Position.MarketPosition.Long)
          // && (((NinjaTrader.Cbi.Position.MarketPosition.get) Instrument.GetInstrument(Symbol2))) == (MarketPosition.Long)

// && (NinjaTrader.Cbi.Position.MarketPosition == NinjaTrader.Cbi.Position.MarketPosition.Long)

Thanks for any assistance

Comment

Hello DTSSTS,

Thanks for your post.

NinjaTrader_Chris will be responding to your e-mail where you are asking similar if not the same questions.

Account.CreateOrder() and account.submit would create orders that are not part of a strategy and would not exist in the strategy. "DefaultQuantity" is a strategy property.

If you are wanting to work with a strategy framework then you can use the managed approach Entry/exit methods and Position.Quantity

Comment

This is an indicator with buttons on the chart. the examples from Chris do not show anything with NinjaTrader.Cbi yada yada yada and I have search for hours last night in the help guide and very little information is there as well. and nothing is addressing the secondary symbol - so I have no resolution to my issues
              Thanks

Comment

Hello DTSSTS,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you clarify what exactly is the hold up issue?

Do you have compile errors, if so can you elaborate on what those are?

Comment

yes with Position.Quantity my error is CS0120

An Object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property 'NinjaTrader.Cbi.Position.Quantity.get'

I am just not familiar with that also likely needs to address the Symbol2 to check that quantity - any help appreciated

Order mar****rder = account.CreateOrder(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrument.Get Instrument(Symbol2), OrderAction.Sell, OrderType.Market, OrderEntry.Automated, TimeInForce.Day, Position.Quantity, 0, 0, string.Empty, "", new DateTime(), null);

2nd issue is I would also like to have the exit include condition to insure there is an Open Position before the Exit order can be triggered. without that then the button could actually create another unwanted position

thanks

Comment

Hello DTSSTS,

Thanks for your reply.

I would suggest double-checking with a print statement that Symbol2 is the syntactically correct instrument name.

For the position side of thing, as you are working with the Account class, you will need to use Account.Positions. See the help guide for an example looping through positions: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ns_account.htm

foreach (Position pos in myAccount.Positions)
                    {
                    if (pos.Instrument == NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrument.GetInstrument(Symbol2))
                    {
                    Print(pos.Quantity);
                    }
                    }
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_PaulH; 12-13-2021, 07:12 AM. Reason: corrected link

Comment

how does the above tell me if i have a Long Position

and yes Symbol2 is correct

this is my entry order and it works as expected, so how could Symbol2 not be correct

Order mar****rder = account.CreateOrder(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrument.Get Instrument(Symbol2), OrderAction.SellShort, OrderType.Market, OrderEntry.Automated, TimeInForce.Day, DefaultQuantity, 0, 0, string.Empty, "Short2 conditional", new DateTime(), null);
                      // }

and below is my short exit with DefaultQuantity as the Quantity, as i can get that to compile. but sometimes the default quantity is the the current position

Order mar****rder = account.CreateOrder(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrument.Get Instrument(Symbol2), OrderAction.BuyToCover, OrderType.Market, OrderEntry.Automated, TimeInForce.Day, DefaultQuantity, 0, 0, string.Empty, "Short2 Exit", new DateTime(), null);

both of those work as expected

thanks

Comment

Hello DTSSTS,

Thanks for your reply.

"how does the above tell me if i have a Long Position"

t doesn't. It tells you that when you are looping through the account positions that the one you want will match your instrument.

Look at the help guide example I provided and look for position.MarketPosition.

"this is my entry order and it works as expected, so how could Symbol2 not be correct"

Sorry, I was under the impression it did not work.

Comment

OK not sure if this makes a difference but we have an input for the account in the indicator

account = Account.All.FirstOrDefault(a => a.Name == AccountNametoTrade);

and I am still not clear how to get something other that DefaultQuantity to compile , I guess are looking for Position.Quantity to compile (which presently will not

NEXT WHERE IN THE CODE DOES THE LOOP NEED TO BE LOCATE, ie State.DataLoaded or State.Configure etc

OR is it in the condition area with the other Exit condtiions

THIS CODE (am i suppose to change myAccount to AccountNametoTrade

foreach (Position pos in myAccount.Positions)
                          {
                          {
                          Print(pos.Quantity);
                          }
                          }

thanks

Comment

foreach (Position pos in AccountNametoTrade.Positions)
                            {
                            if (pos.Instrument == NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrument.GetInstrument)
                            {
                            Print(pos.Quantity);
                            }
                            }

testing this WITHOUT a Secondary Symbol ie Symbol2

will not compile with error as below CS1061

'string does not contain a definition for 'Positions' and no extension method 'Positions' accepting a first argument of type 'string' could be found

the help guide link is just a menu, I cannot find anything about what you said "Look at the help guide example I provided and look for position.MarketPosition. "

thanks
                            Last edited by DTSSTS; 12-12-2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Hello DTSSTS,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry about the link error, I have corrected it in post #24, here it is again: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ns_account.htm

Comment

Looking back to where you help me with this about a year ago

in State.SetDefaults area I have only 1 line of code

AccountNametoTrade = null;

THEN IN THE State.DataLoaded are I have

account = Account.All.FirstOrDefault(a => a.Name == AccountNametoTrade);

if (account != null)
                                account.OrderUpdate += Account_OrderUpdate;

************************************************** ****************************

I do not have what the example is showing about "lock" in any section

do i need to add in the State.SetDefaults area

lock (Account.All)

and/or in the State.DataLoaded area

lock (myAccount.Positions) <<--- in my case (AccountNametoTrade.Positions)

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rocketman7, Today, 01:00 AM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                                Started by wzgy0920, 04-23-2024, 09:53 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes