Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Historical Order Backfill vs Playback Connection vs Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical Order Backfill vs Playback Connection vs Live

Hi All, I can see this has been discussed numerous times, but what is the current state of play ? backtesting in no way represents playback or live strategy running ..

Is anything in the pipeline to bring backtesting a little closer to reality ? or are there some tweaks or other application type settings that I need to take into consideration .. i mean latency between my server and the NT servers is one thing, performance of my server is another, but this does/should not come into play for playback mode.

Any help / direction greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Mark

To clarify this a little more, I am using 2 x data series, 1 x standard and 1 x tick adddataseries using Calculate.OnEachTick .. and then entries are ( BarsInProgress == 1 )//check for entry .. which works great in backtest, but in playback not so much ..

i know there is no way to get this exactly the same as its a bit of a guessing game in backtest, but, trying to get it as close as possible if anyone here has hit this before ?

Comment

Hello 12tkram,

Without more specific details on the differences you are seeing it would be hard to say if that could be mitigated or not. I could suggest reviewing the following post which goes into detail in comparing the different testing modes to see if anything you are doing sticks out.
      Citizens of the NinjaTrader Community, A common question we hear from clients is 'why are results from backtest different from real-time or from market replay?'. Live orders are filled on an exchange with a trading partner on an agreed upon price based on market dynamics. Backtest orders are not using these market dynamics.

As you noted there is not a way to get the results exactly the same as they are not doing the exact same processing or using the same data. Historical data processing has expected differences from realtime and playback due to granularity and how data is processed. You can try to mitigate the differences by using added series or extra logic however there can still be differences in processing depending on the use case. You can find some expected items that come up listed here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ightsub=discre

I am unsure if anything is in the pipeline for this topic as there is nothing public for new or unreleased features that I can provide to detail that.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
      JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

great, thats exactly the start point I am looking for .. many thanks ..

Comment

fixed it ....................................... now my backtests are equally as dire as my forward testing lol ... smh!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Perr0Grande  
          Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post elderan