Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Pop-up Error messages can't be disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop-up Error messages can't be disabled

Hi, I thought it'd be prudent to link to a posting of an issue that has carried through from NT6... and is still something that hasn't been addressed in NT8:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...ead.php?t=1585

Basically the issue is that error broker messages are popping up and blocking UI interactions for the user; despite that the strategy handles all errors.

The most common issue is when someone for example, is using the simulated datafeed and you try to move a stop loss on the "wrong" of the market. NT7 would just simply close out the trade, NT8 instead now the sim feed pops up messages and doesn't close out the trade.

Jeremy
    Jeremytang
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Shark Indicators

Hello Jeremytang,

Thank you for your note.

I will add your vote as well as mine to a feature request for disabling UI pop ups for strategy related errors.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'd like to add a vote to the same, any chance this is progressing ?

Comment

Hello edstar,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

I'll submit your vote as well to SFT-671.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Thanks for providing your voice on this.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I now experience this issue over a 100+ times a day, its crashing NT8 for me and making trading impossible, is it possible to get a hot fix sent to myself just to disable it, please ?

Here is a snapshot of my log, it literally maxed out the number of window popups allowed in windows

Attached Files

Comment

Hello edstar,

Are you getting this from strategy related error pop ups?

Is it a strategy you have written?

How are the pop ups being generated?

What are the error messages in reference to?

We would want to address the underlying issue as to why the errors are coming up to address the root issue.

If you want to "brush this issue under the rug" you could consider increasing your system's virtual memory. On various forums it is suggested to have virtual memory that is 1.5 times the amount of physical memory that is available.

We look forward to assisting.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jim

I am using a strategy, actually I am using the Blackbird 3rd party add on from Shark Indicators.

I'm guessing that sometimes when the trailing stops move at the same time as the market goes against it the stop ends up being on the wrong side of the market and a error message occurs as shown below

As the strategy is an automated one, this is occurring multiple times during any trading session, I guess thats why the opening post from Jeremy Tang who is from shark indicators also wrote about it. The pop up can be shown as many as 5 times for one instance of the error occurring, and in some instance if can spawn over 20, I'm not sure why but its becoming almost unworkable and is devaluing the Blackbird add on, which actually is a great piece of software for what it does, its a game changer for many of us that seek an automated trading solution. Its mentioned in SFT-671 thread that many of us would appreciate either this error to be turned off or at least an option to suppress the popups from occurring.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by edstar; 06-27-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Hello edstar,

This may be an issue with the 3rd party software in the 3rd party software code, which we are not able to debug, modify, or correct. Any errors related to a specific 3rd party script should be reported directly the vendor or developer that distributes their software.

If you close all open workspaces, then restart NinjaTrader, and in a new blank workspace open a new chart and enable the SampleMACrossover do you get this message?

We do have your vote in on SFT-671.

Comment

Add my vote

Comment

Hello cutzpr,

I have added your vote to SFT-671.

Thank you for your voice.

Comment

I'm in favor for a control to suppress these error popups. It is valuable to have these for backtesting where I can detect these can put in my error handling. After I go live, I am confident that I have understood and mitigated all error conditions, so the popups are just a nuisance.

Comment

Hello Leo999,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

It would always be advised to correct the error and not suppress the error.

If this is a script you have written, we can assist with correcting the error.
                        If this is a script you have imported, it would be recommended to report the error to the vendor or author that is provided you with the software.

I will add your vote to SFT-671.

Please note, we receive many requests and cannot reasonably implement all requested features or changes. Interest is tracked internally and if enough interest is tracked, it would be weighed against how feasible it would be to make those changes to consider implementing, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment.

When new features are implemented, they will be listed in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide. The ID number may be different than the internal feature request tracking ID, but the description of the feature will let you know if that feature has been implemented.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Hello... Please add my vote to allow for disabled popup's! I have seen multiple posts and requests for this and don't want to comment on the wrong one.

The biggest issue I run into with NT locking up is typically the number of pop-ups that occur, and by the time I find out about the issue to fix it I sometimes I have to do a hard boot to get the server back up and running. Typically this happens (sometimes thousands of popups) if we have strategies running multiple brokers with situations like "Unable to short" or "No Risk Template" etc... I realize some of these can be avoided but that is usually after the pop-ups have completely taken over into hundreds and thousands (and honestly, for these there is only an OK button, its not like we have much of an option with what to do with the error).

A great example would be a strategy without a risk template set to run onpricechange or oneachtick... Yes, a mistake happened when enabling with a simulation account, but because of that we now go to lunch and come back needing to reboot the server (this is one example of many but in general even disabling popups after a certain number would be nice...).

A simple "Display popups as log messages" in general settings would be FANTASTIC

Thanks guys!

-Chad
                          Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 07-06-2021, 06:25 AM. Reason: Removed external link
                          chadnash
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Nash Technologies

Comment

Even with the popups, your strategy will continue to run if you set RealTimeErrorHandling to IgnoreAllErrors. But be careful as those errors do tell you something went wrong with your order. In my case, I went through my strategy logs and made sure I handled the all possible error conditions to make sure I gracefully exited my position. The errors are caused by enter and exits calls such as the the stop and stop limit calls. The MIT and market position calls never raise the error popups as NT8 will always allow you to get into position without any conditions, except for MIT where the price must first be touched. Anyway, I think NT should allow disabling the error popups as an option for those who are experienced using the managed order calls. It's kinda of crummy that they do not, but I suspect it is a liability and legal issue and they don't want any exposure.

Comment

Actually in a couple of my strategies I have specified to ignore all errors and I still get pop ups... I need to check but possibly only when live until cancelled is enabled. These are specific setups using TD Ameritrade and the pop ups are not always things I can account for (Unlike things like risk settings or other errors I have no idea if shares to short are not available until the message is returned). So in this case its not exactly something I can fix and its not something I need pop up messages for.

I guess a better description for this feature would be "Display all error pop up's as log entries."

Or even having a maximum number of pop up's at a time before a warning pop up comes up and it doesn't display any more... The real issue isn't one or two pop ups... Its hundreds or thousands during a session.

BTW Speaking of risk settings... When I go and select "None" for risk template under the account it saves but tells me I need to reboot NT... Then if I reboot NT, it goes back to default and none is no longer selected.

-Chad
                              Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 07-06-2021, 06:25 AM. Reason: Removed external link
                              chadnash
                              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Nash Technologies

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
                              2 responses