Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Playback -> Calculate.OnEachTick -> OnBarUpdate called before transition to Realtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thing.

In NT7 strategies, I also monitored using OnConnectionStatus, and when both connections
    first showed ConnectionStatus.Connected, it triggered my OnFirstConnection, which
    helped to find the FirstRealTimeBar. When FirstRealTimeBar and IsZombieLHB were true
    at the same time, then I termed this state 'Petrified Data' and waited for 1 or more additional
    bars before signal processing was allowed ... worked great on strategies w/Futures.

But, I hear you. Such research on trying to solve LHB -> FRB issues should never have been
    necessary, and NT support, IMHO, never quite understood the depth and seriousness of this
    issue, which they probably assumed has only ever been noticed by a handful of hardcore
    NinjaScript users.

First off, it's a very difficult problem to explain. Why? Well, the lack of a common vocabulary
    in the product to describe the events in play(*) tended to muddy the explanations of the issue.

For ex, in NT8, the state of the tick just processed -- is that reflected by State, or is State
    more of the current processing state of the framework? I suppose the answer is: it depends.

Specifically, for the LHB -> FRB transition, I always wished to see something like this added
    to the framework,

Code:
    public enum TickState { Historical, RealTime, FirstRealTime }
    public TickState BarState = TickState.Historical;
    which works for every BarType, even a 1-Tick DataSeries, and works for every tick, even
    for OnEachTick/OnPriceChange.

When OnBarUpdate is called, BarState would be set appropriately to represent the tick
    state of the current bar (aka, clump of 1 or more ticks) being processed.

TickState Meanings:
    • Historical - all ticks in the bar being processed by this OnBarUpdate are historical.
    • Realtime - all ticks in the bar being processed by this OnBarUpdate are realtime.
    • FirstRealTime - 1 or more of the ticks in this bar are realtime.

How would BarState work?

OnBarClose: This one is easy. If BarState == TickState.FirstRealTime then this closed
    bar contains a combination of both Historical and RealTime ticks, which obviously means
    somewhere inside this bar was the first realtime tick from the connected data feed. This
    is the "hybrid" bar. (Well, maybe. Actually, BarState.FirstRealTime doesn't say anything
    about how many historical ticks are in the bar, which could be zero, it only means one or
    more ticks in the bar are realtime.)

Code:
    if (IsFirstTickOfBar && BarState == TickState.FirstRealTime)
    {
        ... first closed bar containing realtime ticks being processed by this OnBarUpdate ...
    }
    OnEveryTick: Also easy. If IsFirstTickOfBar is true then BarState would have the same
    meaning and follow the same semantics as OnBarClose. Otherwise, BarState would
    reflect the actual state of the specific tick(s) be processed. In other words,

Code:
    if (!IsFirstTickOfBar && BarState == TickState.FirstRealTime)
    {
        ... OnEveryTick: first realtime tick being processing by this OnBarUpdate
        ... OnPriceChange: first price change resulting from a realtime tick
    }
    The second code snippet could only occur for OnEveryTick/OnPriceChange. Both would
    require surfacing the NinjaScript framework concept of a "hybrid" bar (which may or may
    not occur) -- a hybrid bar contains both historical and realtime ticks -- and may occur on
    the primary bar series or any of the secondary data series added via NinjaScript.

Obviously, a 1-Tick data series would have no hybrid bars, since each bar contains just
    one tick. And if the boundaries of the LHB -> FRB transition coincide perfectly between
    the boundaries of 2 bars (which should be possible but relatively rare), the FRB could
    conceivably consist of all realtime ticks. The LHB is 100% always historical ticks only.

I know I know, this is all just wishful thinking, but these design ideas could be useful to
    help illustrate what the current framework is lacking. Again, just my 2˘.

(*) - For me, in NT7, this whole issue started because I saw CurrentBar have the same
    value for 2 closed bars -- which (when it did happen ) only happened w/COBC=False.
    My "zombie bar" and "petrified data" ideas were my attempts to isolate this occurrence,
    so that I could ignore that first bar. But none of these ideas are even necessary if the
    framework would suppress that "zombie" bar and/or make sure all CurrentBars[n] were
    unique for both bars during the LHB -> FRB transitions of each bar series.
    Last edited by bltdavid; 03-12-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Hi digibob,

It seems you would need to work out something else for a large backtest. Tick Replay is the only solution to get both the correct first tick of the daily bar and the first real-time tick. I am able to get both of these with the code below:

Code:
      private bool realTimeFlag = false;
              protected override void OnStateChange()
              {
                  if (State == State.SetDefaults)
                  {
                  }
                  else if (State == State.Configure)
                  {
                      AddDataSeries(BarsPeriodType.Minute, 1440);
                      AddDataSeries(BarsPeriodType.Second, 1);

}
                  else if (State == State.Transition)
                  {
                      Print("Transition");
                      realTimeFlag = true;
                  }
                  else if (State == State.Realtime)
                  {
                      Print("Realtime");
                  }
              }

protected override void OnBarUpdate()
              {

if (CurrentBars[0] < 0 || CurrentBars[1] < 0 || CurrentBars[2] < 0)
                      return;

if (BarsInProgress == 1 && IsFirstTickOfBar)

{
                      Draw.Dot(this, "OPENBAR"+CurrentBar, false, 0, Close[0], Brushes.Blue);
                      Print(Times[1][0]+" | "+Times[2][0]+" | State="+State);
                  }

if(realTimeFlag)
                  {
                      Print("First tick in real time");
                      realTimeFlag = false;
                  }
              }
      Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi all. I appreciate everyone's responses from start to end of this thread. I have no more power left to try to get the point across. This is me giving up.

Chris, thank you for the script. As you said, tick replay is the only solution to achieve all the goals here, and tick replay is not realistic for me for the reasons mentioned before. The large backtest is just one of them.

It is frustrating that tick replay is taken as a fitting solution and thus serves as a way to disregard/overlook the actual issue. The no-tick-replay behavior on transition is out of sync, buggy, lacking, whatever word fits. Tick replay is not the alternative to no tick replay.

Unfortunately things will stay the way they are and my sympathy for the next poor user who is going to stumble on this issue only to face a wall when trying to explain and get things changed.

bltdavid, I agree with- and relate to everything you said.
        - This is more of an edge case that not many users come across, but it doesn't mean it should not be addressed and fixed.
        - There is a lack of common vocabulary, and might I add, there is no lack of confusing terminology.
        - TickState - that could be exactly the solution here and, in general, could help the strategy gain more control and the user better understanding of what is happening underneath. I see no reason why a strategy should not receive events/have access to info on this deeper layer.
        But what do I know.

Hopefully someone is listening.

I'd like to end by saying all this talk, sometimes criticizing, doesn't make a dent in my sentiment towards NT. I love using NT and I find support dedicated and great in general. Simply (newsflash) not everything in life is the way you want it to be.

Thank you all again.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by funk10101, Today, 09:43 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post funk10101  
        Started by pkefal, 04-11-2024, 07:39 AM
        11 responses
        0 likes