Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

The strategy freezes and freeze chart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any word on when Chart Trader will be fixed? I see that if I add OnOrderUpdate to my strategy, that also causes Chart Trader to freeze, even when I'm not changing order rapidly. The entire platform freezes when a order change is submitted. This is pretty serious because it only occurs in live trading. I would think this should be a priority fix. You think you're all set after running days of Market Replay testing only to find your strategy and entire Ninjatrader platform frozen when you run it live. Fortunately mine places all orders ahead of time so I had protection, but not cool.

Comment

Hello CyberNate,

Thank you for your reply.

At the current time, with strategies that rapidly update, this is simply a limitation of Chart Trader according to the development team. As we've previously discussed, the workaround would be to run the strategy from the Strategies tab.

However, simply adding OnOrderUpdate to a strategy that is not terribly performance demanding would not be expected to suffer from this limitation. Can you provide an example strategy that we may test on our end that you get freezing behavior with?

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
      Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kate View Post
        Hello CyberNate,

At the current time, with strategies that rapidly update, this is simply a limitation of Chart Trader according to the development team. As we've previously discussed, the workaround would be to run the strategy from the Strategies tab.

However, simply adding OnOrderUpdate to a strategy that is not terribly performance demanding would not be expected to suffer from this limitation. Can you provide an example strategy that we may test on our end that you get freezing behavior with?

Yes, but then you are not able to trade manually in parallel with Chart Trader. The strategy orders will show up in your separate chart window. I believe this is something that needs fixing. It is more than a limitation when the platform freezes and you cannot see any further price updates. You cannot even disconnect and reconnect at that point. Only killing process and starting again will fix it.

Comment

fx.practic, Kate & CyberNate, Thank you for the work you have put in on this issue.

This is a problem for me as well even if a rack of fast orders only occurs one every few hours, or NT8 is rushing to catch up from a data or system lag so the problem is not limited to strategies too crazy with frequent orders.

This is an old thread but I have an additional feature request to add and a temp work-around.

Originally posted by CyberNate View Post

I believe this is something that needs fixing. It is more than a limitation when the platform freezes and you cannot see any further price updates. You cannot even disconnect and reconnect at that point. Only killing process and starting again will fix it.

"It is more than a limitation when the platform freezes and you cannot see any further price updates. You cannot even disconnect and reconnect at that point. Only killing process and starting again will fix it."

Add to this comment that your position may now be "off-plan" losing hundreds or thousands of dollars until a reboot and access is regained.

Which raises the related feature request.
          FEATURE REQUEST: "Allow us not just two but three logins the same NinjaTrader account.
          - Login #1 for on VPS production execution.
          - Login #2 for on VPS 24x7x365 Risk Management - So when the production VPS freezes or fails in any way on this second VPS located in an alternative geography on an alternative VPS provider is can execute the Disaster Prevention Monitoring and Response required for a professional delivery of 24 hour a day trading solutions.
          - Login #3 for the non-24x7 presence during development, testing and manual oversight and engagement with the accounts.

"I believe this is something that needs fixing."

I agree.

IDEAS:

(Maybe this is an enhancement or feature request. Please populate these comments one way or another so the dev team can consider this comments as a possible addition the the development Backlog list. Thanks!)

While it is good eye candy, fun to watch at least once, especially when orders are flying fast (even) who really needs every single order update printed to the chart? Not me. Really does anyone need to see every update when the orders updates are coming so fast one would never be able to reliably engage with the orders via fast changing markers on the chart?

A fix? Maybe something like
          - Allow us a parameter setting to limit the frequency of on-chart updates per OnOrderUpdate() event,
          - Or NT8 auto-throttles the on the on-chart update frequency when OnOrderUpdate() exceeds x orders in the last five seconds, thus bringing better reliability to the masses.
          - Maybe flip the marker colors to orange or with orange borders or someway notify the user the marker may not represent the latest OOU() event so they will know not to attempt the interact with the order via the markers at that moment (which when OOU() events are flying the user may not find reliable or matching latest price expectations anyway even without any of the throttling changes proposed here).

-------------------------------------------

Temp Work-Arounds

One effective work-around is to just run strategies via the Control Center. This however strips the user of the benefits of observation via chart and the additional Risk Management capabilities of manual observation and intervention.

The second work-around I will add is to run the strategy through the chart with
          1) Chart Trader enabled
          2) the account set to an account other than the account running the strategy
          3) the plot markers or text and markers enabled on the chart.

Via this additional work-around you have attained a middle ground with some observational and manual engagement capabilities with:
          1) less risk of chart hang
          2) less ongoing CPU hit to keep the chart up to date
          3) you have retained the ability to for short periods return to full observation and control by flipping the account back to the account running the strategy to take a look or execute manual intervention.

Happy Trading!
          HedgePlay
          Last edited by hedgeplay; 12-21-2020, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Hello hedgeplay,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Once I have these written up and submitted to our development team, I will follow up with tracking numbers for you.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

As always Kate is on the ball

Thanks Kate!.

Comment

Hello, hedgeplay,
                Hello, Kate.

Running strategy from the grid does not guaranty "not-freezing".
                As for as I understand, the reasons of freezing are a slow processing of particular events.
                And currently these events processing slowly:
                - rendering live orders on chart (horizontal lines);
                - rendering historical executions on chart (text and markers);
                - submitting orders (SubmitOrderMethod()).

We can do something with rendering (run from grid, create a custom rendering of orders and executions) but only NT dev-ninjas can speedup orders.
                Last edited by savinnrg; 12-24-2020, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Not sure why and how, but I was automatically logged as savinnrg and posted the previous message from his account.

Hello, hedgeplay,
                  Hello, Kate.

Running strategy from the grid does not guaranty "not-freezing".
                  As for as I understand, the reasons of freezing are a slow processing of particular events.
                  And currently these events processing slowly:
                  - rendering live orders on chart (horizontal lines);
                  - rendering historical executions on chart (text and markers);
                  - submitting orders (SubmitOrderMethod()).

We can do something with rendering (run from grid, create a custom rendering of orders and executions) but only NT dev-ninjas can speedup orders.
                  Last edited by fx.practic; 12-24-2020, 03:24 AM.
                  fx.practic
                  NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - fx.practic

Comment

Hello hedgeplay,

Thank you for your patience.

For the 3 concurrent connections request, that is being tracked under the number SFT-5162. Your suggestions for better handling of visual chart updates when running a strategy is being tracked under SFT-5163.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Kate, thanks much for the followup!

Others, if you have interest add your votes for these enhancement requests. A little more detail is above.

HedgePlay

SFT-5162 "concurrent connections request, that is being tracked under the number SFT-5162" (~Allow up to three concurrent connections to each account)

SFT-5163 "Your suggestions for better handling of visual chart updates when running a strategy is being tracked under SFT-5163." (~Increase NT8 reliability, lower chart freezes/hangs and reduce CPU consumption while running strategies).

Comment

I believe I've run into the freeze issue that corresponds with this request: "SFT-5163 "Your suggestions for better handling of visual chart updates when running a strategy is being tracked under SFT-5163." (~Increase NT8 reliability, lower chart freezes/hangs and reduce CPU consumption while running strategies)."

Has anyone had resolution?

Please add my vote. The NT platform limitation this causes for reliable strategy deployment is quite severe.
                        Trade Above, LLC
                        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - tradeabove.com

Comment

Hello TradeAbove_Josh,

I have added a vote for you to SFT-5163 as well.

As I have mentioned previously in this thread:

I would suggest trying to run the strategies you are having issues with from the Strategies tab directly to see if that alleviates your symptoms.

Comment

Thanks Kate.

Given that this issue was reported 1.5 years ago, I'm surprised that there has not been more priority to implement some sort of update throttling or graceful failure fix. The fact that there is no guaranteed ceiling on market volatility means that many strategies are vulnerable to this issue if running from a chart to maintain user-control capabilities.
                            Last edited by TradeAbove_Josh; 10-11-2021, 02:08 PM.
                            Trade Above, LLC
                            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - tradeabove.com

Comment

Hello hedgeplay , fx.practic , TradeAbove_Josh , we are experiencing something similar to this issue these days (see https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...icks-timeframe), just it doesn't have anything to do with the orders speed, but maybe with an overloaded chart - too many objects? No clue yet.

Any hints on why our simple market order freezes the chart, and the Continuum connection (have to restart NT after that)?

Thanks so much.

Comment

Hello alrafer,

Drawing a large number of objects to a chart can affect performance, yes. However, it sounds more likely from your other post that it may be a bad installation or a problem with other third party addons. I would encourage you to continue working with my colleague Jesse on the thread you opened regarding this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post chbruno
                                by chbruno

Started by josh18955, 03-25-2023, 11:16 AM
                                6 responses