Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Profitable Long Strategy Won't Duplicate for Short Trades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Profitable Long Strategy Won't Duplicate for Short Trades

Hello,

So far I have created three long trade Strategies for the CL that were profitable over the same three month period of testing. They each use the same stop-loss and profit target

But they are somewhat complex and to create short Strategies from them manually, would be a lot of work.

Luckily I found out that I could right-click on Set 1 in the 'Conditions and Actions' screen and choose, 'Duplicate In New Tab'. Great feature.

But when I did so, and then changed the parameters in Set 2 for short trades, then ran the Strategy in the Strategy Analyzer, there were no additional profits for having a long and short trades Strategy with the same inputs as my long only trades Strategy.

My long trades Strategy gives me a net profit of $510 over 27 trades with a Ratio of 1.77 and an Avg time in market of 11.93

My short trades Strategy gives me the exact same numbers.

My long and short trades Strategy (with identical settings but inverted for short entries in Set 2), gives me the exact same net profit and 'trades entered' number.

What could I be doing wrong when adding the short trades?

Screenshots attached.
    Attached Files

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

Thank you for the post.

I reviewed the images provided but I can't see the conditions you created to really judge what should be happening based on what you described.

Adding additional conditions may or may not affect the results you are seeing. For example, one case may be that the set 1 condition is always becoming true which prevents the set 2 logic from happening at all. Doing a comparison between two separate sets of logic in this specific case would result in the same outcome.

If your short and long strategies are giving the same exact values, it is likely they share something in common which creates that situation. Is the condition to enter identical between the two sets of logic?

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jesse,

Yes, the condition to enter is identical between the two sets of logic.

I only changed such things as instead of the price being above the 15 EMA, for the short setups Strategy, the price would need to be below the 15 EMA, and so on.

But as for the RSI or ATR being greater than the previous bar, I kept all such things the same.

Comment

Hi Jesse,

Okay, I figured it out. I took my first long setups Strategy Builder strategy and made a duplicate copy, named SOShortSetup1

Then I ran it and at first got 0 trades and $0.00 profits. So I kept removing items and changing items and then by the end of my testing, I was able to get that short trade strategy to have a profit of $480.00

It only entered me into 8 trades although, in a three month period. So I guess long trades and short trades can have completely different results when using the same entry criteria.

But now so far, with my three profitable long trade Strategies and my one profitable short trade Strategy, I have four profitable Strategies created in the Strategy Builder.

Awesome tool. Please keep improving it and please provide more videos, webinars and online documentation for it.

Screenshot attached.
        Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post Aviram Y  
        Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM