Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Position not closed when stop price triggered in account without enough margin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position not closed when stop price triggered in account without enough margin

Let say when you enter a position when your account has $600 and set the stop loss when your account drops to $400 in your strategy. It seems to me that when the stop triggered, the position was not closed and a margin call generated instead. Is there any setting in the strategy to handle the situation like this?

Hello gjing,

Thank you for your note.

There would be no way to prevent a situation where you are in a position with a stop working, market closes for the weekend, and reopens 10 percent lower and your stop is triggered way below the stop price.

We would need more information to answer this question, could you please provide more detail? Did you see this happen?

I look forward to your reply.
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It happened during the regular trading hours. I opened the positions around 10:05 am today. The stop was trigger 15 minutes later, around 10:20 am. At this moment, the positions were NOT closed by the script because of no enough margin in my account, instead a margin call generated.

Comment

Hello gjing,

Could you please send an email to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with Attn: Alan P in the Subject line. Also within the email please include a link to this thread, and attach the log and trace files for the day in subject which you can find in My Documents>NinjaTrader8>Log and My Documents>NinjaTrader8/Trace folders.

I look forward to your email.

Comment

I deleted all my files on my machine already. So basically the problem is that any opening positions should be closed when the stop triggered, no matter whether your account has enough margin or not. The margin requirements should only apply to opening positions, not exiting them.

Comment

Hello gjing,

Was the strategy working a stop or was your strategy trying to send a exit position when the 400 loss level was breached?

Did the strategy have an OCO working? Were you already working a closing order?

If you'd like to send an email to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with Attn: Alan P in the Subject line to discuss these details please do so.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

I'm using ExitLong/ExitShort when stop loss triggered, not OCO order in my strategy. As I mentioned, the fundamental issue was the margin requirements should only apply for entering positions, NOT exiting ones. Can you check with your developers with that? Thanks.

Comment

Hello gjing,

Order rejections due to inadequate margin would come from the broker not the software.

Because you deleted your log and trace files, I would suggest reaching out to your broker for details on what happened and why as they’ll have a record of this.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Comment

My broker is your Ninjatrader broker.

Comment

Hello gjing,

Thank you for your response.

Please reach out to the NinjaTrader Brokerage at brokeragesupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post XXtrader  
                    Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Waxavi