Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to backtest a multi-timeframe strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to backtest a multi-timeframe strategy

Hi - I have a multi-timeframe strategy and want to test it. But I got error message that high order fill resolution only works on single series strategy. I know that using 1 tick order fill resolution is much closer to real time results. How can I make backtesting work on a multi-timeframe strategy? Standard order fill resolution result is very different from real time, so I don't want to use it.

Thank you!

Hello HiddenPhilosopher,

Yes, once you are adding series with AddDataSeries(), you would also need to do this for the 1 tick series used for accurate fill prices.

Below is a link to a forum post on intra-bar granularity which includes a link to the reference sample that demonstrates.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello HiddenPhilosopher,

Yes, once you are adding series with AddDataSeries(), you would also need to do this for the 1 tick series used for accurate fill prices.

Below is a link to a forum post on intra-bar granularity which includes a link to the reference sample that demonstrates.
      https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...377#post773377
      If I do so, do I need to check "Tick Replay" while backtesting?

Comment

Hello HiddenPhilosopher,

Tick Replay allows for intrabar logical processing, (Calculating OnEachTick or OnPriceChange with historical data) but does not change how orders fill with historical processing. (The orders will fill using the OHLC of the next bar that they are submitted to) To have orders filled intrabar, a single tick data series can be added to the strategy and the orders can be submitted to the single tick data series. Please see Chelsea's linked post and resources within for further explanation and examples. I would specifically like to note the "Backtesting NinjaScript Strategies with an intrabar granularity" example strategy.

We look forward to assisting.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by mmenigma, Today, 02:22 PM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
        Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
        9 responses