Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What makes a good trading system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a good trading system?

Hello,
    I am developing and testing trading systems. I am quite happy with my results (only demo trading until now). But I asked myself, what makes a good system? Which performance numbers are regarded "as a good and robust system". Of course everybody has its own measurements of "good".
    I just add a performance report of one of my systems I consider to be good and I would employ my real money to. and see what you guys say.
    Attached Files

Hi superkolleech,

congratulations on having your hard work pay off, Cool that it's turning a large profit and the numbers look good, especially for just one month.

75%+ profitability is hard to achieve, from the summary I deduct that your system has for the period under observation about 2:1 RR.
    This means to break even successful trades have to be at least 66%. With 5-10% above that threshold the performance usually is quite good.

It would be interesting how the system will hold up over a longer period of time, the current market conditions are special.
    Last edited by MojoJojo; 06-07-2020, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Hi Mojo-Jojo,
      thank you for your reply. The test is actually over 10 years ending on friday.

Comment

Excellent, I missed that detail and was curious how it traded 20 times a day with large profits, assuming 1 lot.
        Sample size looks fine and test period too. Usually in my backtests after roughly 150-200 trades the performance regresses to the mean.

Comment

Hello superkolleech,

As a tip, to ensure more accurate backtest results add 1 tick intra-bar granularity, and also be sure to test the script in Playback.

Citizens of the NinjaTrader Community, A common question we hear from clients is 'why are results from backtest different from real-time or from market replay?'. Live orders are filled on an exchange with a trading partner on an agreed upon price based on market dynamics. Backtest orders are not using these market dynamics.
          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Stanfillirenfro, Yesterday, 09:19 AM
          7 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
          Started by TraderCro, 04-12-2024, 11:36 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes