Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multiple Strategies Same Account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Strategies Same Account?

If I run multiple strategies with the same instrument at the same time on the same account will the positions operate independently of each other?

Or if I have a long position in one open and I try to open a short position in the second one will that close the long position?

Originally posted by calebsandfort View Post
    If I run multiple strategies with the same instrument at the same time on the same account will the positions operate independently of each other?
    The multiple Strategy positions will, but the single Account position will not.

Originally posted by calebsandfort View Post
    Or if I have a long position in one open and I try to open a short position in the second one will that close the long position?
    Lots of good reading found here.

Comment

Hello calebsandfort,

Think of each strategy as a different trader, but every trader is calling the same broker and placing trades to the same account and same instrument.

If one trader places a buy, they think the account position is long, and another trader places a sell order, they think the position is short, but the account is actually flat.

Use different accounts or different instruments if you want to keep the account positions separate.

Below is a link to a forum post that details this.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Got it. Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
          Hello calebsandfort,

Think of each strategy as a different trader, but every trader is calling the same broker and placing trades to the same account and same instrument.

If one trader places a buy, they think the account position is long, and another trader places a sell order, they think the position is short, but the account is actually flat.

Use different accounts or different instruments if you want to keep the account positions separate.

Below is a link to a forum post that details this.
          https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...660#post792660
          NinjaTrader_ChelseaB Would it work to have multiple strategies on the same account if they are all long directional strategies, for example?

If two orders were submitted on the same instrument by two different strategies with their own unique OCO bracket orders, would these positions remain separate - as in, will strategy A's contract only fill on A's take-profit, or could it also get filled on strategy B's take-profit? Thank you!

Comment

Hello Daveman0,

You can run multiple strategies (or have multiple traders call the same broker) and trade the same account and instrument.

Just know that the position reflected by each strategy will not match the account, and the Trade Performance will not match the Strategy Performance.
            Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Brevo
            by Brevo

Started by aussugardefender, Today, 01:07 AM
            0 responses