Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy templates gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy templates gone

Hi,

I ran a lengthy optimization in strategy analyzer that exceeded machine limits. The Windows Task Manager showed Disk at 100% and RAM at near full. The optimization looked frozen and the whole machine was barely responsive (the Task Manager itself took a few minutes to open). I closed NT via 'End Process' and restarted the machine. Following that the strategy templates are now gone. Not just the strategy that was running before. All of them.

I closed NT, cleared the cache and restarted the machine again (complete shutdown then start). It didn't help.

The user Documents\NinjaTrader 8\templates\Strategy folder is empty. (as well as \StrategyAnalyzer.) I previously made a backup of this folder but not all current templates are in this backup. I had many.

Is there a way to restore them? How can they be deleted like that? We're talking physical xml files that were sitting in the hard drive for months and years. One time the program terminates in a disorderly manner and the files are simply gone? Just like that?

Hello digibob, thanks for writing in.

It would be unexpected for any files to get deleted from the PC without user action, and we do not have any other users writing in about this issue. Do you have any antivirus programs on your PC that could have possibly cleaned up the files? If so, add an exception for NinjaTrader and the Documents/NinjaTrader 8 folder in the antivirus settings. The only way to recover these files would be to check if they are in the recycle bin. If you have made a backup recently the file should be there as well:

Please let me know if I can assist any further.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chris, thank you for the reply.

By now I have accepted that my templates are gone (the ones I didn't backup). This is just reporting on my part. The fact is NT alone was running when the working IO disk area got full, and the result was an NT folder got 'hit'. There's all the connection we need. No antivirus or anything else was involved.

Also I neglected to mention, the last thing I did prior to running the optimization was saving a template. It could be that following this operation the program continued to hold a handle to the templates folder, then when I hit 'End Process' the OS used that handle to wipe out the contents of the folder. So the program may not be directly responsible for the deletion. But a program should exercise safety and avoid such edge cases too.

Whatever NT wants to do with this reporting is up to NT.

Kind regards.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Tim-c, Today, 10:58 AM
      0 responses
      1 view
      0 likes
      Last Post Tim-c
      by Tim-c

Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 09:06 AM