Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Protected Override access without explicitly creating function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Protected Override access without explicitly creating function

I am trying to simplify the implementation of a tool to help develop strategies.

There are a few override functions I currently have explicitly defined in the strategy such as: OnExecutionUpdate, OnOrderUpdate, and OnPositionUpdate

I am trying to use the strategies Account information to subscribe to the events like this:
    Code:
    m_Strat.Account.OrderUpdate += OnOrderUpdate;
    m_Strat.Account.ExecutionUpdate += OnExecutionUpdate;

Print("================>>>>>>> Delegates Subscribed "+m_Strat.Account.Name.ToString());
    m_Strat is assigned the "this" for the strategy of interest. I can see the subscription is done and m_Strat = "Playback101" which is correct. The only problem is this event doesn't seem to fire at all. When I use the override functions, the events are provided there, but I need to get them through this mechanism to make sure the overrides are not missed in a strategy and so those functions can be used by the parent strategy without being interfered with by the tool.

Is there a different "Account" that gets these events within the strategy I need to use to get these to fire for strategies? The events need to be synchronized much like they came from the callbacks above (order, etc is important).

Hello NJA_MC,

You will first need to rename your event handler methods. OnOrderUpdate and OnExecutionUpdate have already been used by NinjaTrader, so you cannot use the names for your methods.

Further, the account is only updated for real-time orders and not historical orders.

I've created a test script and exported this so that you can test on your end.

I am finding the account events run without issue.

Attached Files
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Further, the account is only updated for real-time orders and not historical orders.
      Thanks Chelsea, I will play with that for real-time, I was only after the historical events at the moment. Is there a similar hook/delegate for historical based events much like what OnExecutionUpdate, OnOrderUpdate, and OnPositionUpdate capture? I can merge them if it is a different delegate for historical events.

Comment

Hello NJA_MC,

Historical orders are not submitted live to a brokerage account.

Historical orders will update OnOrderUpdate(), OnExectionUpdate(), and OnPositionUpdate() in a NinjaScript Strategy.

Comment

Hello NJA_MC,

Historical orders will update OnOrderUpdate(), OnExectionUpdate(), and OnPositionUpdate() in a NinjaScript Strategy.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tionupdate.htm
          Thanks Chelsea,

Okay, since I need this historical data as well, it seems like I need to always add the override functions in the strategy... I will try to find a way to make sure they are added as the tool will not work properly if they are left out. I will have to abandon this approach to get this data.

Comment

Hello NJA_MC,

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tionupdate.htm
            Chelsea,

If possible, I would like to open a request to have a delegate added as part of these functions so that they can be intercepted without the override. My use case is to pass a Strategy's "this" to another class and would like that class to be able to subscribe without impacting the original strategy. A simple naming might be to append "Delegate" to the override name.

Eg:

Code:
            m_Strat.OrderUpdateDelegate += OnOrderUpdateFunc;
            m_Strat.ExecutionUpdateDelegate += OnExecutionUpdateFunc;

Comment

Hello NJA_MC,

What is the specific use case where it is not sufficient to call your custom class method from OnOrderUpdate or OnExecutionUpdate?

May we have an export of an example?

Comment

Hello NJA_MC,

What is the specific use case where it is not sufficient to call your custom class method from OnOrderUpdate or OnExecutionUpdate?

May we have an export of an example?
                Hi Chelsea,

I am working on releasing a new product as a NinjaTrader Partner which is called LOM (Local Order Manager). This tool will wrap the NinjaTrader Unmanaged Orders to provide many powerful trading setups/adjustments etc for strategies. For example, entering a trade can automatically place protective SL & PT if desired. Other features include bracket orders, Trailing stop, Break Even, etc with more to come.

My desire to to reduce the complexity of the needed code in the strategy such that LOM users don't need to remember to include the overrides or figure out how to include the required LOM overrides in combination with what they have created themselves. LOM (recommended by NT) has become an Indicator which will manage orders & positions for strategies. I need to capture all order updates, etc for both historical (back testing) and real-time trades to make sure the Unmanaged orders remain in sync.

I am hoping to get a LOM initial release version into QC for testing and release as a new partner. I can probably do it with the OnXXXXX functions, but my concern is if these are accidently left off from a strategy (users need to add this manual) then it can cause major headaches for the user. Having the Delegate would allow me to eliminate this critical step for proper operation of the tool eliminating frustration and heart ache!

EDIT: I have attached an example with Auto SL, BreakEven & Trailing stop so you know what I am talking about.
                Last edited by NJA_MC; 01-05-2021, 09:23 PM. Reason: Adding "LOMTEST.cs" as example

Comment

Here is the sample LOMTEST.cs file as a reference.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello NJA_MC,

I've submitted your request for consideration.

Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will post this for future reference.

Comment

Hello NJA_MC,

This request is being tracked with ID# SFT-5174.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                      168 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post sidlercom80  
                      Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                      3 responses
                      0 likes