Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Entries per direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entries per direction

Hi Support

Lookinig for assistance with "entries per direction" and have not found any information to cover this certain aspect:

Some of my strategies have multiple entries per direction with stops and targets set, so if I have 9 entries per direction and 7 of those have hit their stop or target the strategies will only enter another 2 positions and no more while those 2 entry's stops and targets remain active. (same candle)
    How can I get the strategy to continue opening new positions back up to the maximum entries per direction so there will always be a maximum of 9 entries per direction open based on signals given by the strategy? So entries entering and exiting based on targets and stops with open positionsl looking like this: 123456789876789876543456789

Thanks, Jason

Hello Jason,

It's based on number of entry orders that have filled and have contributed to the open position. Orders that have not filled are not counted. Order quantity isn't counted.

See the Strategy Builder 301 training video which details.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have a simple strategy that uses the managed approach and enters three legs at the same time via market orders - either EnterLong() or EnterShort() - and sets targets and stops. I have selected the position sizes for the three legs as 1, 2 and 4 totalling 7 contracts. When I use a large value for EntriesPerDirection in combination with EntryHandling = EntryHandling.AllEntries, the position enters 7 contracts as expected. Otherwise "EntriesPerDirection" does not work as expected:

Entries per direction = 1 -> strategy enters 1 contract for the 1st leg and nothing for the 2nd and 3ird leg (good, this is what I had assumed)
      Entries per direction = 2 -> strategy enters 1 contract for the 1st leg, 2 contracts for the 2nd leg and nothing for the 3rd leg (totalling 3 contracts, although EntriesPerDirection is set to 2 contracts)
      Entries per direction = 3 -> strategy enters 1 contract for the 1st leg, 2 contracts for the 2nd leg and 4 contracts for the 3rd leg (totalling 7 contracts, although EntriesPerDirection is set to 3 contracts)

I confirm that the strategy uses the managed approach and has set EntryHandling to "EntryHandling.AllEntries". I have selected 3 for "EntriesPerDirection" and the strategy enters positions with contract size 1, 2 and 4, in total 7 contracts.

This does not look right to me, as I had expected EntriesPerDirection to limit position size. Another user had reported the problem to me first, then I checked it and could only confirm that "EntriesPerDirection" does not work the way I assumed.

What is this good for? Or is there anything that I am missing?

Comment

Hello Harry,

EntriesPerDirection does not limit the position size.

EntriesPerDirection instead, limits the number of entries that can be placed in the same direction.

If you have EntriesPerDirection set to 3 and you have quantity of 2 for each order, and place 5 orders (waiting for the position to update before placing each new order), you will get a position size of 6, from 3 entries, with the other 2 ignored due to exceeding entry handing.

You can ignore the contract size as this is not involved with the number of entries that can be placed per direction.

The 'Automate Your Trading with NinjaTrader's Strategy Builder' training video discusses this.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
        47 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post aligator  
        Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes