Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

turn indicator into strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn indicator into strategy

Hi NinjaTrader community,

I was able to accomplish this. Thank you all that contributed.
    Last edited by Titli; 08-17-2021, 08:28 AM.

Hello Titli,

This thread will remain open for any community members that would like to build this script as a convenience to you.

You can also contact a professional NinjaScript Consultant who would be eager to create or modify this script at your request or assist you with your script. The NinjaTrader Ecosystem has affiliate contacts who provide educational as well as consulting services. Please let me know if you would like our NinjaTrader Ecosystem team follow up with you with a list of affiliate consultants who would be happy to create this script or any others at your request or provide one on one educational services.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi NinjaTrader_ChelseaB,

Thank you for responding and any help from you and anyone else will be highly appreciated.

Comment

Chelsea,

I have not yet seen anything in his request that requires coding or much coding at all and just getting a strategy script from someone else would like be useless if he did not have tools and knowledge to correct, tune and improve it.

I see requests like this from time to time and I would like know a helpful way to respond.

So it makes me want to ask. ...

What are the top 3-6 links customers should use to get started developing a strategy in the Strategy Builder and developing and improving their ATM scripts?
        I am looking for a short stack of links to what the support team think are the best few Builder & ATM Guide, Tutorials, Videos and Samples for customers to start with.

Thanks!

HedgePlay

Comment

Hi hedgeplay,

Thankyou for getting me help. I do not have the coding skills needed to turn this into a strategy or to tune it. I know an automated trading strategy based of it will certainly be possible. Note that the indicator shows entry prices that are the Close price of the signal bar. This would rarely be the actual execution price, because of slippage or the bars type. It would be great to add to the strategy an option to enter with Limit orders at that bar Close price, which while not guaranteeing a fill would guarantee a price for the fill. Otherwise, market orders will guarantee a fill but not a desired price.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello HedgePlay,

I'm happy to provide information about getting started with NinjaScript. Please see the forum post below with many helpful links including the Strategy Builder 301 and NinjaScript Editor 401.

Titli, if you decide you would like to create this yourself, please let us know and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
            Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Titli View Post
              Hi hedgeplay,

Thankyou for getting me help. I do not have the coding skills needed to turn this into a strategy or to tune it.

Update: While I was writing this you got that expected helpful response from the NT team. The ball is in your court Titli.

ATM: In addition to the Strategy Builder links Chelsea posted a starting place to learn how to build and manage ATMs can be found here. https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...gement_atm.htm
              All the links in the left column under the title "ATM Strategy" are worth review. The last two links titled "Example #1 & #2" are working tutorials that walk you through building first ATMs. After these two tutorials the NT team might know of more ATM videos or would be able to help answer questions.

---------------------------
              Hi Titli,

A key point I was raising above is the idea that possibly no coding skills are actually required and you have in hand all the tools you need to create this strategy without needed to know how to code C#.

Likely some lines of 'scripting' are required but that is far, far simpler than coding this strategy in C#.

The NT team help people with these questions all the time I expect they have stronger answers .... this is what comes to mind for me.

When the goal is a viable working reliable strategy getting a hand-off of a first fast past strategy file is useless to you unless you have the ready ability finish the development work. The bulk of the strategy development work including time looking at code or the Strategy Builder interface is yet to come. The hand-off file would be as complete as a loaf of bread in the oven that has completed just 4 minutes of a 20 minute baking cycle. The dough might be getting warm but is still mostly gooey and not at all yet useful as an appetizing food to eat. The dough is only 20% complete. 80% of the cooking work remains to be completed.

What is this 80% of remaining work? All strategies (and ATMs) need to tested, improved, refactored, tuned and tested, fixed, tested, fixed, tested, fixed, tested, tuned, tested fixed, etc. before they will be useful for trading. This work requires constant attention to the detail levels of the ATM design and strategy code or a strategy developed through the Strategy Builder interface.

"So how would I move forward?"

If you zero interest in building, managing and improving ATMs or building and improving strategies via the Strategy Builder then I recommend you purchase a strategy from a vendor who has likely put 100 hours of work into the 80% phase after the first version of the strategy file and ATMs were created or as Chelsea mentions hire someone to work with you on an ongoing basis to build and make useful a strategy concept.

If you want to drive forward yourself then I recommend the following approach (again I expect the NT team can improve on this advice).

It looks like the ATM creating and management UI gives you all you need to create your desired ATM without requiring any coding.

From what you posted above about your strategy it looks like a short first path would be to open the SampleATMStrategy into the Strategy Builder and merging in the very simple MA crossover logic. An example of this simple MA CrossOver logic is visible SampleMACrossOver strategy file. Both the SampleATMStrategy and SampleMACrossOver files were installed by default with NT8. Using Strategy Builder in this way would require short scripting work but is far less complex than coding in C#

The NT team commonly helps people get started and then on step by step basis as people proceed with building ATMs and using the Strategy Builder. You just have to ask for that help.

HedgePlay
              Last edited by hedgeplay; 08-04-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
              Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB