Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

one data series for indicator, one for price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one data series for indicator, one for price

Is it possible to have a strategy take an entry signal from an indicator on a Renko chart (data series 1) and then enter and exit on a minute chart (data series 2)?

When I program a strategy on a Renko chart and run the Strategy Analyzer, it does not work properly. Something about the renko bars screws NinjaTrader up.

The strategy analyzer says I would make millions but has a 0% probability.

Have you tried using a different Renko bar?

I suggest you experiment with UniRenko or NinzaRenko ...

[But the answer to your question is: Yes, it is possible.]

Comment

Yes, for my charts I am using NS_RenkoBXT, but I have tried many different Renko bar types. The NT Strategy backtester has a problem with all of them.

How do I tell my strategy to use the indicator from the Renko chart for the entry signal and then tell it to use the minute chart to enter and manage the trade?

Comment

[NS_RenkoBXT is supposed to be backtestable.
        What did the vendor say when you complained to them?]

You'll need to add a secondary data series.

See examples here and here to get you started.

Comment

Originally posted by ZInvestorZ View Post
          When I program a strategy on a Renko chart and run the Strategy Analyzer, it does not work properly. Something about the renko bars screws NinjaTrader up.

The strategy analyzer says I would make millions but has a 0% probability.
          Renko and range based bars typically close when the next tick is beyond the
          current bar's boundaries.

This means real-world entries on these kinds of charts are almost always going
          to occur (at least) 1 tick beyond the bar close -- because if you submit a Market
          order at bar close, the market is already 1 tick beyond the Close price.

In addition to that, the Open price of Renko-based bars can be a total lie, so doing
          anything based upon the Open price is usually complete lunacy.
          Last edited by bltdavid; 08-03-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Yes, I agree. That is why I want to use the indicator from the Renko data series, not the Renko bars, and the price from the minute data series. Can you help me with this?

Comment

Hello ZInvestorZ,

Thanks for your post.

I would echo forum member bltdavids post#5 and add that finished Renko bars do not present the actual movement of price that occurred while the bar is forming. Renko bars are basically an indicator that repackages price data to easier present trending information.

Yes, you can use multiple data series in a strategy and use indictors based on any of those data series.

Please see this educational example from the help guide: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._frame_and.htm In this example 2 data series are added and an indicator using one data series is used for entry and another indicator using the 2nd data series is used for the exit.

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Paul

Comment

In the educational example from the help guide the strategy calls the SMA indicator directly as a method and it returns a value, which after looking at the code for the SMA indicator is probably the "Value" ISeries object. In the indicator I'm looking to use, however, the code doesn't have an explicit "Value" as the SMA indicator does. Would it be possible to rewrite the indicator slightly to place an array into the "Value" variable, and if so, would this allow me to call multiple values from the indicator itself based on a given alternate data series?

Comment

Hello ZInvestorZ,

Thanks for your post.

Correct, Value is the output of the indicator.

Does your indicator have a plot? If so then that plot would be assigned automatically to a Value[]. If you have multiple plots then you would have Values[][]. In both cases, the indicator would have a data point for each bar in the primary series.

References:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...8/?addplot.htm (See example under, "Indicator using a public Series<double> to expose a plot with a friendly name.").
                    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by rocketman7, Today, 01:00 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post rocketman7  
                    Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                    2 responses