Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Builder- Plot Value ALWAYS 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Builder- Plot Value ALWAYS 0

I am new to NT8 strategy builder and I am having a REALLY hard time. I want to get the high/low values of a rectangle built by the indicator.

This indicator prints a rectangle around the highest & lowest price points in a given time period (the time period is an input to the indicator)

I have added plots to the indicator so I could use the values in the strategy builder to build the conditional logic.

When I select the plot value in the strategy builder and I use the print function to get the value, the value is ALWAYS 0. No matter what I do the value is always 0. But when I look at the indicator plotted on the chart, I see the hi & low plotted on the screen.

Attached is the 3rd party indicator I used to edit & add plot. The plots appear on my chart so I know they are working.
    How do I get the value to display in the strategy builder? Do I need to use the bars ago option in the builder, I didn't think I did?

I would really appreciate assistance. I need the values (high & low) to properly build the conditions to enter a trade.
    I've searched all over the forums and I can't seem to find the issue. Really lost & a bit frustrated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by iamkmckinney; 01-16-2022, 08:52 AM.

Hello iamkmckinney,

I would recommend adding prints to the script to see on what bars the plot value is being set in the indicator, and print in the strategy the time of the bar and value of the indicator plot.

From peering at the code, it does not appear the plot is set on every bar.

Below is a link to a forum post that demonstrates using Print() to understand behavior.

I am happy to assist with analyzing the output from the prints.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader_ChelseaB first off thank you for getting back with me. I actually tried to use the print function in the script itself but when I select visual studio to debug I get an error that NT fails to launch. Is there a way to debug without visual studio? If there is, I am unaware of how to use it. This is my 1st go at trying to use the strategy builder as well as import a 3rd party indicator.

This indicator was actually built by NinjaTrader_PaulH, is there any way he could assist me with this. Per this indicator, I want to get the High & Low values of a dynamic triangle so I can use in the strategy builder.

Thank you again for getting back with me. I look forward to your response

Comment

Hello iamkmckinney,

You can use Print() in the NinjaScript Editor.

While we can point to our help guide for attaching the VS debugger to NinjaTrader, we are not able to assist with using a 3rd party editor.

Unfortunately, in the support department at NinjaTrader it is against our policy to create, debug, or modify, code or logic for our clients. Further, we do not provide C# programming education services or one on one educational support in our NinjaScript Support department. This is so that we can maintain a high level of service for all of our clients as well as our associates.

That said, through email we are happy to answer any questions you may have about NinjaScript if you decide to code this yourself. We are also happy to assist with finding resources in our help guide as well as simple examples, and we are happy to assist with guiding you through the debugging process to assist you with understanding unexpected behavior.

You can also contact a professional NinjaScript Consultant who would be eager to create or modify this script at your request or assist you with your script. The NinjaTrader Ecosystem has affiliate contacts who provide educational as well as consulting services. Please let me know if you would like our NinjaTrader Ecosystem team follow up with you with a list of affiliate consultants who would be happy to create this script or any others at your request or provide one on one educational services.

With that said, if you prefer that NinjaTrader_PaulH walk you through the debugging process using prints to understand the behavior, I can pass this ticket to him.

Comment

NinjaTrader_ChelseaB thank you again. yes I'd like assistance with debugging within the ninja trader environment. thank you

Comment

Hello iamkmckinney,

Below is a link to a forum post that demonstrates using Print() to understand behavior.
            https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...121#post791121

Start by printing the time of the bar outside of the conditions.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
            116 responses
            1 like
            Last Post kevinenergy  
            Started by franatas, 12-04-2023, 03:43 AM
            7 responses
            0 likes