Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Analyzer: Cursor Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Analyzer: Cursor Control

Why is it that cursor control reverts to the Results section after the completion of a report? Why can't the cursor input location just stay where it was?

Let me explain. There have been countless times I've been changing the values of Parameters and hit the left/right arrow to go to the next value so I can change that next value, but, as a result of the current report being just then finished, the cursor control goes back to the Results section. So, instead of going to that next value in the Params section, the cursor control goes to the next line in the results section and the report is generated for that line.

This isn't so bad if the Time frame you have selected isn't large, but I often use years of single tick data, so the time for that next report can be some ten minutes. During that time the Strategy Analyzer is locked out from any inputs, so I have to just wait until the report is finished -- purely wasted time. If the cursor had just stayed where it was supposed to have been (in the Params section), this wouldn't happen.

Perhaps there should be a clock indicating how much time is left before the report is finished (similar to the clock indicating how much time is left in the current optimization run). If that were the case, I could watch that clock when I'm making changes, Then, when the report is close to being finished, just wait a few seconds so the report is finished before I move the cursor (and move it back from the Results section to where I was working in the Params section). (As annoying as it is to have to move the cursor back, I somewhat like this idea better. Really, having both implemented would be best.)

Hello spottysallrite,

I'm not certain that I am following the behavior you are describing.

You are saying that you've put the cursor in an input, typed a value, then hit tab to get to the next input, but instead the cursor is going to the results grid somewhere?

I'm not currently not able to reproduce this behavior, so I think understanding is not correct.

May I also confirm you are using 8.0.26.0?
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, this is 8.0.26.0 64-bit.

The problem only occurs immediately after a report is generated. That is, if the report finishes at just about the same time I hit the cursor to go to the next value then, instead of going to that next value the report for the next line in the results section is generated. Seems like this would be rare given the conditions, but it has happened countless times, including just now, and it's been going on since I can remember (years!)

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

I'm still not certain I am understanding. You are trying to change the backtest parameters while the backtest is in progress?

Or the backtest completely finishes, then when setting the parameters for a new backtest you click in a parameter input, type a value, then hit tab to advance to the next input, and this goes to the results summary and not to the next tab index?

Comment

Ok, after an Optimization run is finished the first thing that happens is the Results section is populated. The next thing that happens is a report is generated for the first item (row) of the Results section. It can take several minutes for that report to be produced. During that time you can change Parameter values. And, after that report is produced, the values you changed in the Parameters section remain the same values that you had just changed them to (I've done this countless times). However, if you happen to make the mistake of using the cursor movement key at just about the same time a report is finished, the next report will be produced. It's uncanny how often this happens. It's very annoying.

Why can't cursor control simply remain in the Parameters section (where it had been before the report was completed)?
          Last edited by spottysallrite; 05-18-2022, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

To confirm, you are changing the parameters while the optimization is in progress and you are not liking that the summary refreshes after the optimization completes, is this correct?

If you wait until the optimization is fully complete before changing any parameters, and after the window updates the results page, can the behavior be reproduced?

Comment

Not sure I'm getting through. I'm making these changes after the optimization is complete, but before it generates the report for the for first line of the results section. It is most definitely possible to change the values of the params while that first report is being generated. I'm just asking if the cursor control can just be kept in the params section after that first report is produced. Shouldn't the user have control of where the cursor is?

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I've created a Feature Request on your behalf to leave the cursor where it is and not focus on the Results pane when a report completes. This is being tracked under the number SFT-5529.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
                Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by JonesJoker, 04-22-2024, 12:23 PM
                8 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post JonesJoker  
                Started by timko, Today, 06:45 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes