Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Error on requesting bars series: "Unknown instrument ..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error on requesting bars series: "Unknown instrument ..."

Greetings,

I'm working on a strategy and have moved into attempting to simulate real-time testing. Initially, I started back testing with "Bar Close" data only since my broker TDAmeritrade did not provide tick data. That worked ok. I made a switch "Kinetick" and downloaded the tick data to begin real-time testing simulation based on "Historical" data. I can't go with "Market Replay" since the sample I want to test starts on March 21st 2022. The strategy only trades two instruments, "SOXL" and "SOXS". Every time I start "Playback" connection and set the date to 3/21 and any other date I get the following pop up error:

​​

I attempted to ignore this and activated the strategy anyway, it would work initially but if I change the dates I end up getting the same pop up error shown above and the strategy would not get enabled.

To simplify things, I removed references to "SOXS" and only had it the bar series set to "SOXL"

My troubleshooting was the following:
    • Redownload the data from "Kinetick"
    • Made sure the instruments were listed
    • Under "Database Management" I updated the instruments lists and updated the instruments
    • Remove the strategy and then add it again
    None of the above seems to fix the problem. Like stated, Every time I attempt to enable the strategy it gets unchecked and I get that pop up message.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Hello hbustami,

Thanks for your post.

I was able to reproduce this error message and reported this behavior to the Development team. I will reach out with further details regarding this error as soon as I hear back from them.

I look forward to assisting further.
    Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey Brandon, really hate to be asking such a thing and if I can't get a straight answer I'd understand; in a situation similar to this, what is a ballpark of when I'd hear something back? Reason I ask is because I'm on a tight schedule and having some clarity would help me plan for this. After all, this whole thing is built on just these two instruments. Appreciate your patience and understanding.

Haytham.

Comment

Hello hbustami,

Thanks for your note.

I do not have an estimated time as to when the NinjaTrader Development team will be able to test this issue and get back to me.

That said, I have submitted the issue to the Development team and I will let you what they say about this as soon as they test the issue and get back to me with their findings.

I look forward to assisting further.

Comment

Greetings again,

I have a question related to the above response. Since you've been able to replicate this, can you let me know if this is only related to "Kinetick"? In other words, if I use another provider will the same problem occur?

Appreciate your time and patience.

Comment

Hello hbustami,

Thanks for your note.

The NinjaTrader Development team has looked into this behavior and reported back to me.

This error message is caused by a limitation that requires live license keys having access to historical data when in playback. A limitation of this feature is that it requires using a simulation only license key to playback data for instruments that are not recorded by the Historical Data Server.

You could input the Simulation Only license key below into your platform and use playback on historical data for those instruments. To input the license key into your platform, go to Control Center > Help > License Key.

Simulation Only License Key: @SIM-A82F-D583-40B1-AE74-B79F-705D-1952

Please note that we are considering adding code to handle requests that might be invalid. This is being tracked under the number SFT-2923.

This number will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide when it is implemented.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Let me know if I may assist further.

Comment

Just for clarification, so in order to test my strategy I need to use a sim license and to run this in real-life trading I switch back to my standard license?

Comment

Hello hbustami,

Thanks for your note.

That is correct. The Simulation Only License Key could be used to test your strategy. Then, you could switch back to your Live License Key to place trades on your Live account.

Let me know if I may assist further.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post algospoke  
                Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                3 responses