Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Nt8 debugger problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello joemiller,

Unfortunately, using Visual Studio is outside of what is supported by NinjaTrader Platform Support.

If you are unable to rename your NinjaTrader 8 folder, re-install to generate a new folder, and then attach the Visual Studio process to NinjaTrader.exe, I would recommend you use the built in NinjaScript Editor.

Visual Studio (and other 3rd party applications) are not officially supported by NinjaTrader Support to use, however, we are adding some functionality to NinjaTrader to make using Visual Studio easier for programmers that prefer this over the NinjaScript Editor. This means we are not able to call and assist with setting up Visual Studio for debugging.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello joemiller,

Unfortunately, using Visual Studio is outside of what is supported by NinjaTrader Platform Support.

If you are unable to rename your NinjaTrader 8 folder, re-install to generate a new folder, and then attach the Visual Studio process to NinjaTrader.exe, I would recommend you use the built in NinjaScript Editor.

Visual Studio (and other 3rd party applications) are not officially supported by NinjaTrader Support to use, however, we are adding some functionality to NinjaTrader to make using Visual Studio easier for programmers that prefer this over the NinjaScript Editor. This means we are not able to call and assist with setting up Visual Studio for debugging.
      Re: ''that prefer this over the NinjaScript Editor''. i don't know enough to prefer one over the other. i need to use breakpoints. does the NinjaScript Editor have breakpoints?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
        Hello joemiller,

OK, so can you do the following ?

I am using VS2015 Community Edition [it's free]. Make the video again for me using VS2015 Community Edition in case you were not using VS2015 Community Edition ... which will take the place of you remotely logging on to do what I have been requesting but you cannot do.
        Last edited by joemiller; 12-06-2016, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Hello joemiller,

The NinjaScript Editor does not have breakpoints. I am happy to submit this as a feature request on your behalf. Once I have a tracking ID for this request, I will forward this to you for future reference.

In the video I have provided I am using Visual Studio Community Edition 2015. (We all use this version on our NinjaScript Support as we only use this for educational reasons)
          I do not have any other versions of Visual Studio installed on my machine.

Comment

i'm not clear about how to create a clean NinjaTrader settings folder. please post some directions.
            thank you

Comment

Hello joemiller,

To create a clean testing/development NinjaTrader folder:
              1. Shutdown NinjaTrader
              2. Rename (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\ to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8.original\
              3. Download the NinjaTrader installation package from the link below
                http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
              4. Run the repair from this (if the repair is unsuccessful, uninstall and then re-install NinjaTrader)

This will recreate the NinjaTrader 8 folder in (My) Documents

To switch back to your original environment if needed:
              1. Shutdown NinjaTrader
              2. Rename (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8 to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8.testing\
              3. Rename (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8.original to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\
              4. Start NinjaTrader

Comment

should i answer 'yes' or 'no' to the question displayed in the attachment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DEC6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	881348

Comment

Hello joemiller,

The migration will migrate your historical data, and connection information from NinjaTrader 7.
                  This will typically take a while depending on how much data you have.
                  I would recommend you do not migrate.

Just start NinjaTrader follow the steps and see if the debugging works.

Comment

Someone on a Microsoft forum sent me the following link as an answer to what I have to do the fix my error message problem. I have no idea what it means or what to do. Any help will be much appreciated. The link is http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...arted-directly.

The error message is

Name:	dec11.JPG
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	881420

Comment

To Chelsea,
                      My last post was Dec13.
                      After two weeks, a lot of time and expense with a contractor/consultant in India ... here are a series of steps that work for me ...for reference in case someone else has the same problem i have had employing the Visual Studio debugging breakpoint feature.

Please take a look at the steps below and offer comments/suggestions/criticisms/ etc.

what Visual Studio version does Platform Support use? My version is

Name:	VS VERSION.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	881521

Here are steps:
                      1) Let us assume you want to debug the DEMA indicator.
                      2) Open NinjaTrader as you normally do.
                      3) DO NOT attach the DEMA indicator to any chart [or see step 14].
                      4) Now open the NinjaScript Editor, then open the DEMA indicator in the Editor.
                      5) Verify that Debug Mode is enabled.
                      6) Compile the indicator in the NinjaScript Editor. This is required only once - no need to compile every time you debug.
                      7) Now open the DEMA indicator in Visual Studio.
                      8) Make sure you have selected "Debug" and "Any CPU" in the drop-down list above the code.
                      9) Now under Build menu, click "Rebuild Solution"
                      10) Set the breakpoints in the DEMA indicator code as per your requirements.
                      11) Now under Debug menu, click "Attach to Process..".
                      12) Select "ninjatrader.exe" from the list of processes and click Ok.
                      13) Now start Debugging.
                      14) Now switch to the NinjaTrader chart, and attach the DEMA indicator
                      … or, if already attached, do a ‘’reload all historical data’’.
                      15) The breakpoint in Visual Studio will get activated.
                      16) Investigate / debug as per your needs and press "Continue" to proceed.
                      17) To stop debugging, detach the indicator from the chart first, and then stop debugging from Visual Studio.
                      18) Avoid stopping or shutting down Visual Studio when debugging is active. It can shutdown (or crash) NinjaTrader.
                      19) Whenever you get error message while debugging, repeat steps 11-12 (of Attaching ninjatrader.exe process).
                      20) If you wish to change the indicator code, then you must first make changes to code, then follow steps 6 and 9.

Comment

Thanks, joemiller . I just wanted to let you know that your solution is still appreciated years later with VS 2019. I think the key point for me was step #3 to remove the existing indicator from the chart and re-add it (step #14) later. I've seen a similar bug in NinjaTrader completely unrelated to Visual Studio where removing the indicator completely from charts, and then re-adding it helped. (Usually, the standard re-compile/re-load-on-charts is enough, so one might miss the workaround to remove/re-add.)

Comment

After trying several times it can't get the VB attach to NT. Even with Joemillers exact step by step guide, VB just can't start the debug. It says it is missing the NinjaTrader.Custom.dll in the debug folder, and indeed this file is missing.
                          Are the any (other) solutions found yet?

Greetings

Comment

Finally, it works. Somehow I had to have the DataBox selected last, so that VS displays NinjaTrader DataBox and then attach the process.

Cheers

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                            Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes