Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Signal Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal Name

I've searched but I can't find it. What is a signal name and how is it used?

For example :

SetStopLoss(string fromEntrySignal, CalculationMode mode, double value, bool isSimulatedStop)

BarsSinceExitExecution(string signalName)

Can someone give me a brief primer on it and perhaps a couple simple examples. Does it equate to a Boolean variable that generates a signal if the variable is true?

The way a signal name is used is for example if I said...

EnterLong(1,"Setup1");

Then the name "Setup1" is the entry signal name. So if later on in the strategy I wanted to close that specific trade entry later on I could close it like..

ExitLong("Setup1");

So it's basically just setting a variable to an entry to be able to call it later to do something with it.

(That's how I know it anyway, I may be wrong so someone else can chime in if I am.)

Comment

Hello DuggyLou,

clubfoot is correct. The signal name identifies the order. This allows for an exit to be specific to an entry when multiple entries are placed by setting the from entry signal of the exit to match the signal name of the entry. This also changes the label for the order on the chart.

Below is a link to the Strategy Builder 301 course which describes signal names and from entry signals.
      Understand the fundamentals of basic strategy creation by developing an actual strategy using the NinjaTrader Strategy Builder.2:45 Opening a Strategy Builde...
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That makes sense now. So if I had an entry signal I could then set a Stop Loss for example that would just apply to that signal name. Same thing for BarsSinceExitExecution, If that order entry had a signal name I could use BarsSinceExitExecution with the corresponding Signal Name to determine how many bars since that specific exit. Any other caveats or uses for signal name? Thanks

Comment

Hi DuggyLou,

This is also used for unique entries when using Entry handling and Entries per direction.

Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Looking for help with Scaling out of positions in Strategy Builder. I understand using signal names for exits however I can't figure out how to enter with multiple contracts.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your question.

You can call an entry method multiple times with different signal names in one action. Make sure you ser "Entries Per Direction" to the number of contracts you want to enter.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.
              Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
              Started by WeyldFalcon, 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
              14 responses
              0 likes