Window containers / window docking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window containers / window docking

It's been about seven years since I last used NT and I see that NT8, while nice, still doesn't support docking multiple windows into the same container - either to the workspace window as a "master panel" (like ESignal) or to a separate "container" window, which would be the preferred solution for those using multiple monitors.

Tabs are great and useful but don't cover all use cases - namely, where you want to have charts open in combo with a DOM or hot list analyzer / market analyzer, or several of these. The user ends up with a zillion tabs in the taskbar, trying to mimic docking behavior by manually playing with windows to line them up side by side just right, minimizing / maximizing three or four windows every time you want to show or hide the desktop, and hoping that you don't accidentally drag one of them when you're just trying to click.

A forum search reveals this feature has been requested numerous times in the past, so hopefully it will be implemented soon.

Hello Specterx,

Thank you for your suggestion I will add your vote as well as mine to the feature request tracking this.

Thank you for your suggestion.
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Any update on this, its sad n that is not yet available at NT

Comment

mkaraa,

We're taking all of the feedback provided regarding this change into consideration, however, there is no timeline on when or if this will be changed.

For the time being I will go ahead and have your vote added to this feature request as well. The internal tracking number for this feature request is SFT-2440. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ease_notes.htm
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 03-04-2021, 10:38 AM.
        Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am a new user to NT8, but I am amazed that this development has not taken place. If you are trading and alt-tab to Google something, or look at your mail or whatever, you ought to be able to alt-tab right back to your workspace. Instead, you get pieces of it scattered here and there. If you take a break and minimize your work space -- oh wait, you can't! You can minimize each individual element only. NT8 seems to have a lot of great features and has some outstanding reviews so I am appalled that something so elemental and so basic as having an optional "container" for your workspace is just not here.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.

Deciding on features for future releases is not a simple black and white decision. There are many factors involved including but not limited to:
            • Demand which is measured by objective user requests and subjective discretion on the part of our Product Management team.
            • Feasibility
            • Developer bandwidth
            • Current projects in the queue
            • Economics
            You'll find the tracking numbers provided in the release notes when a feature is implemented:

Comment

Hello,

Any word on if the development of this feature is in progress?? I'll be candid about the reason I'm asking. There are several features/components in NinjaTrader 8 that I absolutely love and rely on for market analysis. I think the platform overall is great in many ways. Despite using NT8 for a few years now (and bringing many clients to it), I have actually not migrated my primary trading accounts to NinjaTrader-connected brokerage simply due to a couple of key features in the software you are missing, one being lack of window management. To some, it may not seem like a deal-breaker but I've actually spoken to several of my clients offline who have complained about this missing feature as well. A few of them have reported dropping NinjaTrader altogether due to a couple of key features missing (including this one).

I wanted to make sure my feedback was added to the other voices here but I am also seriously considering writing my own AddOn for this feature. Because the development would take considerable time on my part, I was hoping you could provide a direct answer on whether this will be implemented in the next 18-months? I understand posting the answer in this thread may not be the appropriate place. If not, I would really appreciate a quick email.

Cheers.

Comment

This has not yet been implemented and the general answer as to why is still a combination of factors as mentioned is post #6. I appreciate your feedback and I'll make sure to add that to the SFT-2440 along with your vote.

One potential work-around for items discussed here would be the shift+right-click Windows feature of Minimize/Restore all. Also, we've found that some users have success using Divvy for window management:
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 03-04-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Patrick,
                  Thank you for the reply and for adding my vote. I do actually use Divvy and the Windows shortcut you mentioned, which is helpful. The two things (I believe) most of us are after is
                  1) to move a group of windows from one monitor to another without messing up the arrangement;
                  2) docking-style window management (VS style) where resizable dividers are placed between adjacent windows allowing us to quickly resize and relocate windows while maintaining full use of the screen space of the parent container.

If anyone knows of another helper application that performs those two functions and is compatible with NinjaTrader, I would love to know.

Thanks again.

Comment

Docking windows in a grid is not rocket science. The code has already been written. Why can't you guys just get this done??? Think or Swim has had it for years. Subcontract out to their programmers and they probably could get it done for you over the weekend.

Comment

Please add another vote for this key feature. I'm demoing Ninjatrader for the first time, and I simply cannot believe that Ninjatrader does not have this basic, essential feature. I don't understand why you folks can't get this done. People have been asking for it for years. As mrlucky said, it's not rocket science. This shortcoming will likely keep me from licensing the platform.

Comment

add my vote

Comment

I also would like to see this feature and am confused and disappointed it's missing from your software when so many other things have been done so thoughtfully. I want to have a DOM right next to each chart and I don't want using the software or managing the windows to feel cluttered up to do it. Even the simplest imaginable implementation, like keeping the windows as discrete entites but making it easy to lock them next to each other and minimize/maximize together, would be fine.

Comment

I'll throw out there too that another good way to do this would be add a feature that simply adds an optional DOM to Chart Trader, like maybe in the space where it leaves dead space on the monitor now.

Comment

Add my vote to this feature should it ever be implemented.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Christopher_R  
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              166 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sidlercom80