Price scale and vertical dragging of chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price scale and vertical dragging of chart

I find that NT8 vertically flattens price action far too much if Range = Automatic, Screen Date Range, MarginLower/Upper = 0%. There is a lot of unused chart space above and below price action. So I have to expand the scale.

If I expand the price scale by clicking and dragging vertically in the scale, I get the picture I want, and this locks the scale viewport to a max and min price. Unfortunately I am then unable to click and vertically drag the chart contents as I scroll back in time. The price action just drops off the bottom of the chart as I scroll back in time, and to view it I have to go back and re-set the scale to auto, which in turn once again flatten the price action far too much.

This makes drawing trend lines quite inconvenient.

Is there a setting I have missed?

A related suggestion is to have a reset price scale item in the price scale contextual menu on right click.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist. To test, right click clicking > Data Series > Setting the Scale justification to Overlay and test for issue.

In addition, you may try right clicking the price axis > Properties > setting Based on to Entire Date Range Series Only so a larger historical factor is taken into account for vertical scale.

We look forward to assisting further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Your first idea: really messed up my overlay indicators. And was not permitted if I am using Chart Trader

Your second idea caused the price action to be very very very flat as the scale expanded to the entire range for the loaded data.

Really all I want to do is to drag the data series vertically in the chart viewport by clicking on the chart background while maintaining fixed price scale range.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I see, unfortunately when the view of the price axis is changed in anyway, (linked to the scaled data) data shown on the chart will change the details of the Fixed price scale as well. You may hold the Ctrl key + click and drag in the chart background without changing the scale of price data, however. See below for more on chart navigation.

Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Perfect! Particularly ctrl-click on price scale. I should have found that one in the Help Guide myself.

Comment

Might add for other users: for this to work you have to uncheck center price on scale in the data series properties (not the scale properties!)

[would be better if all scale related properties were accessed via one properties instance]

And finger-dragging a chart on a big touch screen is fun!

Comment

I believe that you may find that the actual issue is the "Auto Scale" setting under "Visual" in one or more of your indicators.

An easy way to test this is:

1) Save your chart setup to a template
              2) Remove all indicators
              3) If price scales to now fill up more of the available space, then you have now confirmed that an indicator auto scale is the issue.
              4) Reload your template to get back where you started.
              5) If #3 is confirmed, just go through all indicators that appear to be near the top or bottom of the chart and uncheck the auto scale setting.

I had the same issue and your thread motivated me to dig deeper. In my case, it was volume profile, vwap, and moving averages.

Regards

Before:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image_62760.png
Views:	1650
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1127535

After:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	after.png Views:	0 Size:	167.8 KB ID:	1127536
              Last edited by Cyph3r; 11-13-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Barry Milan  
              Started by DJ888, Yesterday, 06:09 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post DJ888