NT8 REQ: Delay License Check until internet is available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 REQ: Delay License Check until internet is available

Sometimes there is a need to restart NinjaTrader, when the connection is not good.Let's say your connection cuts out for 1 minute.

NinjaTrader takes a while with some workspaces to fully load... even if it can't load new data.

However the License check in this case will fail, NinjaTrader will "panic"..

then the platform still continues to load (more waiting, waiting)

then you have to quit NinjaTrader

wait for all windows to disappear

wait some seconds to make sure that it is safe to start NT8 again (otherwise you might get some error messages due to NinjaTrader still being in memory)

assuming that the internet is back, if not you must wait until it is back (otherwise we go through the whole process again)

then you load NinjaTrader

wait for workspaces to load

wait for new data to load into the charts

so this whole process can take up a lot of time

and it can easily be avoided by waiting to check for the license until there is an internet connection available

or if for some reason that would be a problem for NinjaTrader (the Company to implement), at least have it wait until after workspaces and charts are loaded

and then have some option to allow the user to re-check the license server without restarting the NinjaTrader application... because that is what takes a lot of time. And during an active market that is not good.
    Last edited by NinjaCustomer; 12-27-2018, 10:33 AM.

Agree with this request and hope NT will create a mod for this.

BTW to other users. When NT crashes and you cannot get it started again, try deleting the workspace that starts with an underscore. This will stop NT from trying to load the workspace that is causing the failure.

Comment

I am wondering if anyone is having the same problem with NT's 3rd party licensing process. I have several indicators that require a 3rd party license check and sometimes the charts that use them fail to come up (get stuck in a loading state). When that happens NT completely hangs up, cannot be shut down using the normal means, and has to forced out. The same workspace will work for a while and then all of a sudden fail to come up. My recovery process is to delete the WS from the Recovery subfolder (if it exists) restore the working WS from a backup folder and restart NT.

Comment

Thanks for opening the thread and sharing your feedback NinjaCustomer.

I've submitted a feature/enhancement request so that NinjaTrader automatically attempts to reconnect to the licensing server on start up if the connection fails, and to have the prompt say something like:
        : "Unable to connect to licensing servers, attempting to reconnect... Do you want to start in SIM mode?"

I've also added additional votes for JMont1 and Cheech. The ticket ID is SFT-3714. We track votes for feature requests before a implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. I'll be happy to add any additional votes, and I agree this would be a good thing to have in the platform.

ID numbers for feature requests will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide when a new release includes the feature.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Cheech, I will be doing some testing with a licensed AddOn to see if I can reproduce that issue so I can give further input.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jim:

As an FYI I have an open incident (2035219) on a problem I've been having with 3rd party licensing which might be related. I have noticed on occasion when I have the problem usually (but not always) the workspace is loaded before I get the connection tone. One of the biggest problems is when that happens NT freezes up and cannot be shut down normally and has to be forced out. Sometimes I can just start up NT with the active workspace and other times it needs to be refreshed from my backup WS folder

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
            Thanks for opening the thread and sharing your feedback NinjaCustomer.

I've submitted a feature/enhancement request so that NinjaTrader automatically attempts to reconnect to the licensing server on start up if the connection fails, and to have the prompt say something like:
            : "Unable to connect to licensing servers, attempting to reconnect... Do you want to start in SIM mode?"

I've also added additional votes for JMont1 and Cheech. The ticket ID is SFT-3714. We track votes for feature requests before a implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. I'll be happy to add any additional votes, and I agree this would be a good thing to have in the platform.

ID numbers for feature requests will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide when a new release includes the feature.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Cheech, I will be doing some testing with a licensed AddOn to see if I can reproduce that issue so I can give further input.

thanks, in this case then please make sure it will also either recheck the servers in the background after starting in sim mode so that when the license is verified, connections can be made without restarting

or if it is not possible to run the checks in the background, at least an option in the Help menu to re-check the license server manually.

The key here is to prevent wasting time with restarting NinjaTrader

Comment

NinjaCustomer , Thanks I've included your additional feedback to be tracked in the feature request ticket.

Cheech , After testing a licensed vendor indicator, an error message will be received if the NinjaScript cannot be authorized from a connection issue. You will something similar to the following:

NinjaTrader is unable to connect to its license servers in order to verify the vendor license 'VENDORLICENSE'. Possible problems are a) Your firewall software is enabled and you have not authorized NinjaTrader to access the internet b) Your internet service provider is having service problems or both license servers are down. Please ensure that your firewall software is not blocking NinjaTrader and try again in a few minutes.
              There could be other licensing issues which will throw an error in the log tab of the Control Center and the NinjaScript will say "Calculating..." but this will not cause the platform to hang. That particular issue sounds to be workspace related if the chart hangs on Loading... If the connection is not established when the workspace is loaded, then we would also see Loading... if the chart is loading data.

If this start up issue persists for you, could you reach out to me directly at platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com so we can schedule a call to take a closer look?

JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post RubenCazorla  
              Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
              2 responses