bring up a chart from the positions tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bring up a chart from the positions tab

Suggesting the ability to while viewing your current positions in the "positions tab" the ability to "right click" and have a selection to Bring up a chart of said position/instrument.
    Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I will submit this idea as a feature request to our development. Once we have a tracking number for this request I will update this page.

Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan Thanks, is this the norm for NinjaTrader that you just assign a number ?if it is accepted? confused why not just implement it for lack of a better tern "common sense" feature?
      Who decides what is implemented and what is not? What web page do I go to to see all proposed future enhancements?
      Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by billywantstoknow View Post
        Suggesting the ability to while viewing your current positions in the "positions tab" the ability to "right click" and have a selection to Bring up a chart of said position/instrument.
        Thanks
        My first thought was, this is too broad.
        For example, what kind of chart should NinjaTrader bring up?
        I mean, Minute, Tick, Volume, Renko, etc, lots of choices ... Ah-hah!

This is actually a pretty good idea.
        Let me expand on the suggestion:

1. Add "Open Chart" to right click menu in Positions tab.

2. When you right-click on an active position, then "Open Chart" menu item brings up the "Data Series" dialog,
        (same dialog as New -> Chart) with the active position's Instrument pre-selected into the 'Data Series" dialog.

3. There the user selects the BarType & BarInterval (and whatever else, per normal, lots of choices) and clicks "OK".

I love it!
        Last edited by bltdavid; 03-15-2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Hello-

Billywantstoknow- Feature requests are taken into consideration based off customer demand, ease of implementation, and several other factors the development looks at when adding to any release. There is no guarantee or time table as to when/if a feature request will be implemented. You can check for all features added to each release at the link below:

bltdavid- I have added a vote on your behalf to the initial feature request. My hesitance with adding the specifications you listed is that this is the same number of clicks as it takes to open a new chart from the control center, therefore not creating an efficiency advantage worth implementing. Please let me know if you disagree.

In the meantime, you may both be interested in creating a market analyzer with your frequently traded instruments, using instrument link to one of your charts. This would allow you to click on the instrument in the market analyzer, and the chart would then automatically switch to that instrument. I’ve provided a link below with more information:

Comment

Hi Ryan Thanks, is this the norm for NinjaTrader that you just assign a number ?if it is accepted? confused why not just implement it for lack of a better tern "common sense" feature?
            Who decides what is implemented and what is not? What web page do I go to to see all proposed future enhancements?
            Thanks in advance
            I have extensive experience as a software engineer and can give you some insights in what processes NinjaTrader and other software companies typically use.

Is this the norm for NinjaTrader that you just assign a number ?
            Yep, that's pretty standard.

Why? Because feature suggestions, change requests, bug reports, etc, these usually all go into a database, so that historical notes can be recorded against that idea or bug, and so that web links and other attachments can be associated with it.

But there is even a larger reason -- companies are not one person.

Multiple people will need to read, understand, and comment upon and approve the said feature or bug fix.

That approval activity, combined with keeping an historical record over time organized in a database (everything in the database gets date and time stamped), yes, that requires a unique special identifier for each feature suggestion, change request, or bug report.

if it is accepted?
            Correct.

Most software companies have two different engineering departments: Development and QA.
            Sometimes Customer Support is a separate department, and sometimes it is under QA.

Before a new item (Feature/Change Request, Bug Report) is added to the database, companies tend to follow a few steps
            before entering it into the database. For ex, they will verify steps to reproduce the bug, or research the database for a prior
            or similar suggestion to avoid a duplicate feature request, etc.

Once it is "approved" to enter in the database, a new number (aka, database identifier) is assigned.

confused why not just implement it for lack of a better tern "common sense" feature?
            Because the people who approve such a feature have to study it and decide if and how it fits into the product roadmap.
            Yes, even simple requests such as this need to be approved and scheduled.

Who decides what is implemented and what is not?
            Usually the Product Management team (with input from Development managers) decide which features and bug fixes to work on,
            or more likely, simply decide the priorities.

What web page do I go to to see all proposed future enhancements?
            I don't think NinjaTrader maintains such a web page. Not every company does.

NinjaTrader, LLC, is in a very competitive industry and if the industry norm is to guard such information (because otherwise
            your competitors will use that web page against you in their own advertising) then NinjaTrader is simply being protective of
            their product. It's called "defensive marketing" when you keep certain kinds of information private.
            Last edited by bltdavid; 03-21-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanS View Post
              bltdavid- I have added a vote on your behalf to the initial feature request. My hesitance with adding the specifications you listed is that this is the same number of clicks as it takes to open a new chart from the control center, therefore not creating an efficiency advantage worth implementing. Please let me know if you disagree.

In the meantime, you may both be interested in creating a market analyzer with your frequently traded instruments, using instrument link to one of your charts. This would allow you to click on the instrument in the market analyzer, and the chart would then automatically switch to that instrument. I’ve provided a link below with more information:
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ow_linking.htm
              Good idea, thanks.

Not quite same mouse clicks.

If I right-click and choose 'Open Chart' from Positions -- the instrument should be pre-selected and already added into
              the subsequent showing of the "Data Series" dialog.

If I use New -> Chart, I have to click on the instrument and then click Add button.

The point is:
              The right click "Open Chart" in the Positions tab saves me from having to select the instrument in the "Data Series" dialog, because
              presumably this feature would automatically "pre-Add" that instrument into that dialog, saving me two mouse clicks.

This right click suggestion is definitely faster than New -> Chart.
              Last edited by bltdavid; 03-15-2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Hello all,

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT 3887. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post ghoul
                by ghoul

Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                6 responses