Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

suggestion: add topic to help for NT8 about excluding A/V to solve performance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suggestion: add topic to help for NT8 about excluding A/V to solve performance issues

maybe you should consider adding to the NT8 manual to exclude folder from antivirus, for cpu and memory performance reasons.

I noticed something strange that on my other computer with similar enough specs, that nt8 only was using about 7 to 8 % of the cpu in task manager but on my main notebook was using 40-50%

I investigated further and there was also a cpu process taking another 5%.. that was avast so i unistalled avast and fell back to defender.

Then I followed instructions here:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...virus-software

excluded documents ninjatrader folder, x86 one and ntdirect?.dll

ever since then nt8 uses only about 5 to 8 % and most surprisingly the NinjaTrader memory usage has gone down to a constant ~1.8GB compared to 4+gb previously for this workspace.

Turn off indexing in Windows search too.

Comment

sledge, have you noticed the memory usage improvements as well? or just cpu performance?

indexing of nt documents folder? or do i need to include program files as well? I assume that wouldn't be indexed by default

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

There are too many total anti-virus programs and anti-virus programs change their exact steps on how to perform this too frequently for us to provide documentation on our end. We always recommend that you check the resources for the anti-virus program that you're using in order to get the most accurate instructions.

This is noted in general in the performance tips page on step #19:

Comment

sure but really you should think about mentioning adding anti virus exclusions in general.. I mean I've always had performance problems with NT, I just thought NT was a huge performance hog... now I have it using half the memory and cpu as before simply from excluding some folders in the A/V. I don't think most people would figure out the A/V exclusion trick from reading step #19, if they even saw that.

No need to explain the exact steps, just say "exclude these folders with your A/V". I'm not totally sure which folder exclusion did the trick, I just know now things are much better. And some people have older PCs so I'd imagine it would make an even bigger difference to someone trying to run on limited ram, say 8GB.

Comment

This is noted in general in the performance tips page on step #19:

Comment

all I see is about windows search indexing there.

Comment

You're correct - I'll suggest that an item regarding anti-virus is added to the Performance Tips page.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by funk10101, Today, 09:43 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post funk10101  
                Started by pkefal, 04-11-2024, 07:39 AM
                11 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post jeronymite