internet speeds ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

internet speeds ....

im certain this isnt the place to ask ... but had a curiosity ....

in using ninja 7 or 8 .... running 2 or sometimes 3 charts (3rd chart being minimized) and a DOM ... (nothing else)

my current download is 10mg ... my cable company is limited in the speeds i could upgrade to .... i certainly do not want/need the max. (overkill) .. but what speed would the tech department recommend as being the "sweet-spot"....

reason for my question ... is each time my trading suffers ... i question the computer itself, the software, the internet ... cause i know its not me ....

10 is nothing. You need to have at least 30. That's what I have and I run a couple of charts, order flow, etc. without any issues. But I defer to NT support.

Comment

thanks for the response ... am researching the speeds available in my area

Comment

Hello pfsmedical,

This depends on the exact behavior you are wanting to resolve.

Latency is the amount of time it takes for packets to be sent from your computer to the server and back. The higher the latency the more likely a disconnection will occur.

With NinjaTrader 7 which is single threaded, a disconnection will cause the application to freeze while the connection is attempted to be re-established.
        This does not occur with NinjaTrader 8.

If the issue is not about disconnections and is instead a question about performance please see the information in the post below.
        Hello All, I am using NT8 8.0.17.2. My workspace has been essentially static for more then six months, meaning no new indicators or growth in windows open or

Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks for the response ... i have never had a problem with 7 (3rd party indicators & the whole shooting match)... i have 3 computers (not gaming comp. but not commodore 64's or radio shack trs 80's either) and 8 crashes all too frequently ... (almost to the point of uninstalling 8 and waiting until ninja 9 comes out)

i am in the process of having another computer built up .... with the specs from "eddies trading computers" recommendation ... hopefully that would solve my 8 issues

the only other element .... that i might be able to control ... is the internet speed .. evidently a 10mg download is insufficient for 8

thanks again for your response

Comment

Hello pfsmedical,

If you are able to reproduce NinjaTrader 8.0.19.1 crashing without using any 3rd party addons, this needs to be reported to our development.

Comment

thanks for the reply ...

Comment

Hello pfsmedical,

Are you able to reproduce the crashing in NinjaTrader 8 without using any 3rd party addons?

Comment

thanks for the reply ... not my intention on bashing 8 (i may be only in a small percentage with 8 issues) ... i dont recall ever having these issues going from 6.5 to 7 (with 3rd party indicators) -- without the indicators i use to trade ... i seeing no point in leaving 7. but to answer your question ... i have (in previous posts in other sections) sent in log files & such that were asked of me. the reply was my video card ... so i replaced that. i will most likely upgrade internet speed and make due (and wait for 8.5 to come out)

Comment

Hello pfsmedical,

To confirm, you have sent an email to work with support and there is a confirmed issue, is this correct?

Is that ticket currently closed?

Is this behavior currently reproducible without 3rd party addons? (This is a check to see where to start looking for issues so that either a bug can be reported or an indicators code can be checked and either corrected or an NinjaScript bug identified and corrected)

If so, I will look further into finding this correspondence to find at what state this ticket is in.

Comment

thanks for responding ... again ... the original question was in no way to bash 8 .....

here is one of the links dated 06/21/2018 :https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...-graphics-card

Comment

Hello pfsmedical,

For an issue to be corrected by our development it must be reproduced and reported.

The link you have provided is to a forum thread from last year on version 8.0.14.0.

May I confirm that you are able to reproduce the crashing without any 3rd party addons using 8.0.19.0?

May I confirm you have sent an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com as requested in the forum thread you have linked where a technician has investigated this on the latest version of NinjaTrader?

Comment

thanks for the reply ... since having the program freeze up in 2 "LIVE" trades ... i have not done anything with 8 in that length of time ... the ONLY feature i liked was the dynamic / static DOM ... to which that feature in 7 .... is an additional expense per trade ... i could not even use the market analyzer in 8 due to its inability to provide audio alerts

thanks for your time on this subject ... but my original and only question had to do with recommended internet speed up / download ..... i am currently researching the internet options available to me in my area

Comment

Originally posted by pfsmedical View Post
                            thanks for your time on this subject ... but my original and only question had to do with recommended internet speed up / download ..... i am currently researching the internet options available to me in my area
                            Did you monitor in realtime what you need from internet?
                            Maybe download this freeware to find out what happens when you open and/or close NT7 and NT8. that might help you to find a solution. I only trade ES and only need a few hundred KB of bandwith, never 1Mb.

Tom's Guide upgrades your life by helping you decide what tech to buy, showing you how to get the most out of it and solving problems as they arise. Tom's Guide is here to help you....

Comment

Originally posted by marcus2300 View Post

Did you monitor in realtime what you need from internet?
                              Maybe download this freeware to find out what happens when you open and/or close NT7 and NT8. that might help you to find a solution. I only trade ES and only need a few hundred KB of bandwith, never 1Mb.

https://downloads.tomsguide.com/NetWorx,0301-30706.html
                              thanks for your reply ... i too only look at the es ... and as fragile as a traders psyche is ... anything that screws with my trading .... I start to question EVERYTHING !!! i have recently bumped up my internet speeds to the next level available to me ..

thanks again for your response

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Started by frankthearm, Yesterday, 09:08 AM
                              13 responses
                              0 likes