Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Chart Trader - Multiple orders, incorrect "entry" line + math is off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Trader - Multiple orders, incorrect "entry" line + math is off.

When using chart trader and ATM strategy (probably not specific to ATM strategy... multiple entries without it will likely trigger this behavior, too), I've come across a bug... at least, what I believe is a bug.

1. Open a position at any price with a sell order a good ways away so it doesn't get filled immediately;
    2. Wait a minute;
    3. Open another position that will get filled before the first one;
    4. After the 2nd position is filled, the beige bar indicating your entry price is now set to the fill price of the 2nd position's sell order and all of the math for the first order is based off of that price.

Should the beige bar not revert back to the previous order's entry price? I realize this can get complicated with multiple entries, however - should it not just "waterfall" backwards as orders are filled?

Total noob here, so - just something I noticed. Open to any and all explainations.

Many thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

If I understood your question correctly, I believe you'll want to head to the Control Center> Tools> Options> Trading> check the "Use FIFO for position avg. price calculations" setting.

Please test this and let me know if this is the functionality you are intending to use or if not please clarify further what you are expecting to see vs what you are seeing instead.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi There,

I'm having a similar issue. In my case I'm using two different ATM strategies to enter positions that can be open simultaneously. One entry is lower with a stop loss but no target / take profit. The other is a smaller bracket entered into at a higher price with a target and stop loss. Once I enter into the 2nd position, the entry price displayed for both entries was the higher of the two entry prices, not the average. I found the option in control center - tools - options - trading - "use last price for PnL" and unchecked it. This fixed the entry price when both positions were open from the higher price to the average. However, when the target order for the higher entry price strategy is hit before closing the position opened at the lower price, the "entry price" displayed on the chart moves from the average price of the two entries to the higher entry price of the now closed position. It does not move down to the actual entry price of the now only open position. I do not see the option you describe in this post for a "Use FIFO for position avg. price calculations". Is there a way to have the entry price displayed on the screen move down to the actual entry price of the open position once the other position is closed? Thanks so much!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for writing in today.

This setting is just above the "Use Last Price for PnL" setting in the Calculations section of the Tools> Options> Trading area.

Comment

I only have two options under calculations in options - trading: 1) "Use total PnL for show realized PnL when flat", and 2) "use last price for PnL". I checked with a friend who also has a lifetime license and he sees the same two options I do. We are both using NT 8.0.24.2 64-bit. There is no "use FIFO for position avg. price calculations" under the trading - calculations category. Please see attached screenshot. Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect that you're using an older version of NinjaTrader 8. To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below:
            • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
            • Click on the link: https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
            • Enter your license key and press Submit
            • Select 'Download'
            • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.

Comment

When I go to that link it's the same version I have installed. But according to this link - https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/ that option was removed in the most recent update - the one I have installed. Change # 14606

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and thanks for that clarification.

Yes it appears that setting has been removed from the most recent version of the platform.
                Simulation accounts now always calculate as FIFO and the FIFO setting was removed since it only affected simulation accounts
                Having said that, the average position price is the average price for each contract entered. If you bought 5 contracts at 100, the average entry price is 100 because (100+100+100+100+100)/5 = 100.

If you want to add contracts at the current market price to adjust average entry price to 120, you can use algebra.

For example, you can set up the following equation and solve for x to get the number of contracts you need to buy to adjust the average entry price.

(500 + 150x)/(5 + x) = 120.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post arvidvanstaey  
                Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
                16 responses
                0 likes