• Show
Clear All

I'm just dreaming buddy!

Thanks again for all the hard work.
    Gains

Comment

Daily crashes of NT

I am now used to regular crashes of NT. It is always the same procedure:

Opening NT, charts will be loaded. Connecting to IB. The instument on my 4 connected charts as well as the instruments on the market analyzer will update in mixed order. After updating the instrument on the charts the "Saving" popup will show. Now in 2 out of 3 cases, everything will be alright.

But in 1 out of 3 the "Saving" popup will remain eternally, while nothing happens. The task manager shows that there is no activity behind (processor load is low). Pressing the "Abort" button will produce the "Aborting" popup, which will not disappear again. To get rid of the "Aborting" popup you will have to pretend to close NT, then cancel. Now disconnecting and then closing NT.

After closing down NT (empty desktop) it cannot be restarted, because actually it is still running in the background. So you need to remove NinjaTrader.exe process by brute force using the the task manager.

Now you can restart NT, and usually the second try will work. If the second does not work the third will do. Sometimes I have to reinstall NT or restore the data base to make it run again.

A sure way of crashing NT is to change the instrument shown in the charts before connecting. It is better to first connect and then change instruments after connection.

If things like this did not happen all the time, NT would certainly be the best product available on the market. I am really happy with all its features and capabilities, but why does it need to crash again and again?

Comment

+1

+1 on the IB saving dialogue sticking on forever.
        +1 on the changing symbol - however I have found if you format data series and reduce the days back and / or interval sometimes you can actually get bars back (rofl)

Mine sticks every day at least once.

Comment

Hello Harry,

How many instruments and columns do you have listed in the Market Analyzer?

Am I correct that once you are connected and all data is loaded, you change instruments in one chart that is windowlinked to three other charts?

Try reducing the amount of historical data in the charts and check if this will make a difference.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Have 20 instruments and 5 columns in the market analyzer (Ask, Bid, Last, NetChange and Stochastics). If I change instruments, I change them through 3 window linked charts. The linked charts have different lookback periods. For the 60 min charts I use 120 days, for smaller timeframes I would typically have 60 or 90 days.

I rebuild the data base from time to time to reduce its size. When I connect NT uses about 500 MB. After some time it gradually builds up its resources to 1 GB. Sometimes I shut down NT and reconnect to get back to 500 MB. But this does not seem to be a problem, as my PC has 3 GB of memory and all other applications running are modest compared to NT.

Why does the probability of a crash increase, if I change the instrument of the linked charts before I connect?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
            Hello Harry,

How many instruments and columns do you have listed in the Market Analyzer?

Am I correct that once you are connected and all data is loaded, you change instruments in one chart that is windowlinked to three other charts?

Try reducing the amount of historical data in the charts and check if this will make a difference.

Comment

It will take up resources to load the new data requested in the chart and if you have indicators applied on the chart, they will be calculated as well.

Reducing instruments in the Market Analyzer, historical data in charts and setting indicators to Calculate on bar close = true, will reduce resource request and will reduce the chance of a freeze up.

Comment

However, the "Saving" problem occurs right after downloading backfill upon connnection, when resource request is still pretty low!

It will take up resources to load the new data requested in the chart and if you have indicators applied on the chart, they will be calculated as well.

Reducing instruments in the Market Analyzer, historical data in charts and setting indicators to Calculate on bar close = true, will reduce resource request and will reduce the chance of a freeze up.

Comment

It seems that the total data request and the resources it takes to load and calculate all data is too much at that point in time.

The initial used resources plus the resources it takes to load and calculate all data upon connection seems to be too much.

You could try splitting your current workspace and load it in two attempts.

Comment

How can I have linked charts in two different workspaces? What I might try, is to choose the same lookback period for all charts, because otherwise NT attempts to load the same data several times for each of the charts...

It seems that the total data request and the resources it takes to load and calculate all data is too much at that point in time.

The initial used resources plus the resources it takes to load and calculate all data upon connection seems to be too much.

You could try splitting your current workspace and load it in two attempts.

Comment

Each chart will be loaded seperately when using different intervals, so I believe this will not make a difference.

You can find helpful tips to improve the performance of NinjaTrader and reduce resource request at the link below.

Comment

Jason,

I have posted a few more times about this forum's search limitations. I just can't take the pain anymore. Particularly after being told the 20 secs would be removed. I can't search for small search terms? I have to wait 20 secs?

It's pretty annoying to say the least . I am now using google to search the forums and that is pretty sad. Particularly because it will skew Ninja's ability to see keywords searched from the forum and realize that they need to allow shorter search terms!! lol. I give up.

If anyone is interested, here is what you type into google's search bard to do searches.

(without the ()'s)

(20 seconds site:http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/vb/)

This will search for the term "20 seconds" (without "'s) on this forum. You also don't have to wait 20 seconds between searches. It's only been since I was told this would be checked into, lol.

It's now Feb of the new year and I recently was told it was being removed. It's still there!! NT, please, save us from the pain!

Anyway, I'll use Google for now unfortunately. But waiting patiently.

PS, NT is awesome!

Hi r2kTrader,

As stated in the response I have sent you, we are aware of the limitations of our Support Forum and currently are looking into options on how they can be overcome.

We will let you know when this will be changed.

Comment

The 20 secs limitation is to prevent robots attacking our forum. We will not eliminate that limitation for now.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                            The 20 secs limitation is to prevent robots attacking our forum. We will not eliminate that limitation for now.
                            Could this limitation be lifted for a user who is currently signed in to the forum?

I'd think most robots wouldn't sign in.

Or maybe make searching without delay OK for users who have contributed 400 or more postings to the forums?

Comment

AFAIK this is not possible with our current forum software.

Comment

For me the main problem on this crashing and getting stuck downloading data is that one cannot tell if NT is going to successfully download the data or if it's going to be hung all day.

Couldn't the loading data dialog show some kind of progress? Couldn't it check to make sure the data is available before getting stuck? Like if my data provider has data from 5/2006 to present and I accidently demand 1/2006 to present (which is my case right now as I type this) then the loading dialog just hangs forever. So I have to exit and restart. If NT would just ask the data provider if there is data from 1/2006 it could reply no and NT could return with a msg "no data for 1/2006". ????

I have to exit and restart NT often because I mess up with my dates. it's very frustrating.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
                                6 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post ScottWalsh  
                                Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                                10 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post frankthearm