Playback API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playback API

It would be very useful to have an API to the PLAYBACK mechanism. There are a number of solutions that could be built in order to assist with hardware/software performance management against implemented strategies and indicators.

When PLAYBACK occurs, a little or a lot of data is processed per 'playback snapshot' if you will. There could be very few ticks or many ticks processed. But I'd like deeper visibility so I can understand how the speed slider in playback performs. (e.g. Levels such as 1 - 1000 or 1-MAX and I'd like to witness how many ticks and/minutes of time were managed).

I'd like to add a speedometer and odometer indicator to the playback... I'd like to control the settings and add a 'average ticks per second' or however playback is displaying data so I can understand machine performance.

Running the strategy on two different machines may guide me more to use one machine vs. another.

You have hundreds.. perhaps thousands of users all clamoring to Playback data and generate results without visibility into how much data is being processed by a machine. With such visibility (and potential profits being generated), it might be worthwhile for a user to upgrade a machine, etc. I don't think I need to list all the benefits here.

When a computer user is making a decision with regards to computers and CPU's, there are standardized solutions (Benchmark tools) which enable users to monitor performance.
    example: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

Please expose the Playback API data so that we can leverage that to create the tools necessary to better understand the performance of our systems when running strategies during playback - I don't want to run a timer on 30 days of playback and divide by 30. I want to see it live and while data is processing to best set expectations, etc.

Note: you already went partway with the "Ninjascript Utilization Monitor" (which is available by opening a "ninjascript output" window and right-click on it and selecting 'Ninjascript Utilization monitor' but we need more with a Playback API, please.

-- WildWex

Hello wildwex,

Thank you for your post.

First it's important to understand that there is not API with the Playback connection, it's not an API connection just a feature of NinjaTrader, so we wouldn't have an API to make public.

However I have submitted a feature request for your Playback performance enhancements you've requested.

I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Heath R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello wildwex,

Thank you for your post.

A Playback API would be a fundamental change to the way this process works in the application and isn't likely to be implemented, However I have submitted a feature request for the Speedometer and Odometer features you're requesting.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by each "playback snapshot".

Playback streams data exactly if it were real time based on the replay data that we've recorded on our servers, it isn't snapshotting data and updating, though it may appear that way because of the graphical refresh rate of once per second. This is simply a visual restriction to reduce the impact of playback on your machine and has no impact on the actual speed or rate that data is playing back locally.

For more information on how data is played back through this connection please visit the link below:

Please feel free to write in if you need additional assistance.

Comment

Hello wildwex,

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-5231. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Comment

i support this request. it would be incredible to have a api to tweak the speed. there are times when i want the speed to be slower like market opening hours to understand the tape and also blazing fast for outside market hours like weekends.
          i use a lot of continous market instruments and spend hours and hours watching the historical moves

Comment

Hello junkone,

I have forwarded your vote for SFT-5231. Thank you for your feedback.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Davide999, 05-18-2023, 03:55 AM
            4 responses
            1 like
            Last Post kcwasher  
            Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes