Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A better solution for lost connections

This morning I lost my connection to TT/ AMP . It wasn't very long but NT
    did not reconnect . There should be stronger code to regain lost connections.
    NT said it was connected but the charts were not moving ,so something was
    messed up there . To get the charts updating again I had to manually dis
    connect and re connect . This didn't actually work well because while the minute charts reloaded ,the volume chart I had did not . To get back on track
    I had to close NT and restart everything .I think one of the problems is NT re
    loaded all historical data putting extra stress for the software . Everything is
    there already ,why not just reload the missing data from the disconnect ? In
    live conditions ,this laborious process for getting back on line could be very
    costly . this has happened before . It should be changed . Force a reconnect
    when ever or for however long the disconnect occurs and only reload missing data only .

Hello T2020,

I will forward your suggestion to our development team and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Unfortunately NinjaTrader does not dictate when a connection is lost. It operates like a radio receiver in that it receives a signal from your broker and then displays/reports these signals back to you the trader. When a connection is lost, it is the broker's API that determines this and reports this to NinjaTrader which in turn reports this back to the trader.

The common problems that contribute to this are:

- ISP issues

- hardware firewall issues changing IP addresses frequently

- Dynamic ISP address switching the address frequently intraday. Usually this happens once a week but you may want to check with your ISP. If they do change daily, a static IP address may work.

- With Windows XP SP2, if you have more than 10 open TCPIP socket connections open (10 programs making connections through the internet) windows will randomly shut down some connections

- Broker servers having problems

When NinjaTrader loses connection, it will try to re-connect the next two minutes. If a connection could not be established, it will stop trying.
    Try right clicking on the volume chart and select 'Reload Historical Data' and check if this will load the chart.

Information how NinjaTrader loads data can be found at the following link.

In addition, I suggest to close NinjaTrader with all workspace closed. Have an empty Default workspace opened when shutting down. Next time NinjaTrader is started, it will open up with the blank Default workspace, which does not take long to load.

Thank you again for your feedback.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I appreciate the post back , but I think some more investigation into this
      problem is warranted . I just lost connection again for about 20 seconds and
      now NT says the connection is good -but no charts are moving . I can browse to different websites so I know I'm connected to the ISP is working .? At no
      time was the connection down for 2 minutes . ???

Comment

Try right clicking in the charts and select 'Reload Historical Data'.

Are you receiving real-time data in the Control Center?

If you create a brand new chart, does it receive real-time data?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
          Try right clicking in the charts and select 'Reload Historical Data'.
          This time I closed the group > closed the connection
          > reconnected to AMP > and then reopened the group to get back updating .
          Are you receiving real-time data in the Control Center?
          It wasn't set to the same instrument so I'm not sure . I'll keep an eye on
          it next time .

If you create a brand new chart, does it receive real-time data?
          I may try that the next time .

I think the point here is that some thing is wrong " bug maybe " and I'd like
          it to work right rather then find the best work around .

Comment

Unfortunately NinjaTrader does not dictate when the connection is lost, so it is not possible to prevent it through the software.

It seems NinjaTrader was re-connected as per post # 3, but the charts seem to be stuck. Next time try to reload historical data and check if this will allow the charts to receive real-time data again.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Jason;78602]Unfortunately NinjaTrader does not dictate when the connection is lost, so it is not possible to prevent it through the software.
              No one implied Ninja could prevent connection loss ,but when Ninja says it's connected and nothings moving,seems like that's a Ninja problem .

It seems NinjaTrader was re-connected as per post # 3, but the charts seem to be stuck. Next time try to reload historical data and check if this will allow the charts to receive real-time data again.
              I will try that the next time I have this problem . I would just like things to
              work the way they're suppose to .We all know this is a hard business at
              times and software reliability is at the heart of a traders confidence .Who
              knows maybe it's some thing wrong on my end ,but it seems possible it's
              a Ninja problem as well .

Comment

Hello T2020,

We have not been able to reproduce the issue on our end using our analysis tools.

Please let us know if the issue persists on a constant base.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                  Hello T2020,

We have not been able to reproduce the issue on our end using our analysis tools.

Please let us know if the issue persists on a constant base.
                  Thank you for testing . If I recall I had better reconnect luck with Barchart
                  as a data feed , but I don't get any market depth info from them and historical reload doesn't mirror each other either , but I'll let you know if this
                  happens again . Thanks again .

Comment

Hi, I am having similar problems as stated below. This happened a bunch of times, but only when the market moves fast (right after todays New home sales number). This isn't an internet or isp connection but an API issue between IB and NT. Whenever the markets move fast, the NT green light still stays on but it gets no market update (eventhough TWS is still updating normally). The fix is to manually kill the connection in NT to IB, and then reconnect.

Now, I have reported this before, and need a more immediate solution. I can easily program an alarm via a timer in code to make sure there's market update every x seconds, but can I programmaticly close and reconnect an NT connection to a data provider?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello tegui,

What versions of TWS and NinjaTrader do you have installed?

Ensure the IB connection and TWS API configuration settings are setup as per the link below.

In addition, I suggest to take a look at the following link, which will provide helpful tips to improve the performance of NinjaTrader.

Comment

I actually have build 890.6

I will upgrade and follow the steps to the t - I'll let you know if the problem still happens. thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post tsantospinto  
                        Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post cre8able