Reloading Workspace Can Result in Inaccessible NT Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading Workspace Can Result in Inaccessible NT Windows

If NT Workspaces are Restored to a computer with a desktop that is smaller than the Backup computer, then some NT Windows can be completely off the desktop and they are therefore invisible and inaccessible. This can also happen if after the Workspaces are saved monitors are removed, rotated, or the order of monitors is changed in a multi-monitor configuration.

Restore could be changed to move all Windows's locations onto the desktop but this would not fix the second case causing the problem.

Suggestions:

Control Center should be changed to move inaccessible Windows onto the desktop when it Opens a Workspace. The best way to do this is to save the desktop dimensions in the Workspace then when a Workspace is loaded all Locations and Sizes should be rescaled to the current desktop dimensions.

This would not only fix the NT Window inaccessibly problem but automatically take advantage of larger or additional monitors when they are added to the computer.
    Last edited by Jim W.; 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your post and suggestion.

1.) If you run into this issue, use the following steps to bring the missing windows back:
    1. Right click on the missing window's icon in the Window's Toolbar at the bottom of the screen
    2. Select move. If not available, double click the icon and try again.
    3. Without pressing anything else, press the right arrow key ->.
    4. Now move your mouse into the middle of the screen and your window should be attached.

2.) I will forward your suggestion to development for future consideration.

Thank you!
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with the Move command and its keyboard shortcut Alt+Space then M then Arrow Key. Your step 3 assumes that the Window to be moved is to the left of the desktop. In fact, it could be to the right or below the desktop, so the Left or Up Arrow may be appropriate.

My NT trading computer's desktop is:

X = -1200 Y = 0 Width = 4800 Height = 1920.
      X is negative because there is a monitor to the left of my Primary Monitor.

My VMware Workstation development system's desktop is:
      X = 0 Y = 0 Width = 4792 Height = 1822

Frequent moves of Workspaces between the two desktops make using the Move command for all of the NT Windows involved impractical. After manually adjusting the Locations and Sizes in the Workspaces a few times, I wrote a program to do for me. Yes, I understand that manually or programmatically editing the NT workspace.XML files is not supported. ;-)
      Last edited by Jim W.; 04-15-2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I have a similar issue with a multi monitor setup.
        I have one monitor 19" (Resolution 1280x1024) that I want to upgrade to a 23" monitor Resolution 1680x1050) - The only problem is that when I change monitors, my charts disappear on this monitor even though they are shown in the Windows Toolbar.
        I am currently running NT7 RC1.
        Is there a way of recovering these charts without rebuilding workspaces ?
        Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Eric

Comment

Hi,

What happens if you right click on a chart in the toolbar, select 'Move' and click the left arrow key on your keyboard and then hover your mouse into sight? Is the chart attached? If it is, drop your chart on the new monitor. Once done with moving all your charts, save the workspace and restart NinjaTrader. Now see if the charts open up correctly.
          Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Vincent,

I managed to get it working by selecting "move" and pressing the "right arrow" key.
            At first I didn't notice the edge of the chart on the primary monitor.
            I was then able to drag the chart to the newly installed monitor and save the workspace.
            It's all working fine now !!
            Appreciate your help.

Comment

Hi,

Glad I could help.

Enjoy the rest of the week and Happy Trading!!

Vince
              Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Max238
              by Max238

Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM