Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Why are all strategiy actions erased/canceled when feed/broker disconnects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are all strategiy actions erased/canceled when feed/broker disconnects?

NT6 will stop all strategies when a feed disconnects.

I understand why trading would stop/suspend, but NT also removes all plots, anotatations, historical fills etc related to the strategy from the chart as well.

This is very different from other applications such as Amibroker, Omnitrader, and I believe tradestation as well.

I think you need to make a distinction between strategy actions that affect/place trades vs those that cerate alerts, draw actions etc .
    Shutting down TWS shouldn't affect my charts !!

FWIW . I showed NT 6 to a friend. He was pretty enthused until he saw that everthing 'vansihed' when IB TWS shutdown.

imported post

Strategies are not terminated as the feed disconnects (e.g. as internet connection goes down temporarily). They are terminated as you manually terminate the connection in which case all strategy related objects are removed from chart.

Comment

imported post

Not entirely true.

If TWS disconnects, all strategies will terminate and all plots, markings and executions are removed from the chart. This will be an everyday occurance for IB users, as TWS will force a daily shutdown. I don't have MB or zenfire, but I have a hunch something similar would happen.

However, I think you missed my main point.

The current NT logic of removing chart anotations when a strategy terminates needs a review.

There are all sorts of reasons to terminate the 'trading parts' of a strategy

But it is possible to create a perfectly valid NT strategy that simply draws or marks up a chart, sets alerts, makes an alarm/noise etc

None of these should ever terminate once applied to a chart unless I remove them manualy.

As I mentioned in my prior post.. I can't think of another charting app that behaves like NT6 does in this regard

Comment

imported post

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll put it to our list of future considerations.

Comment

imported post

zoltran wrote:

But it is possible to create a perfectly valid NT strategy that simply draws or marks up a chart, sets alerts, makes an alarm/noise etc

If this is true, I suggest trying to implement this as an indicator and not a strategy then it will not be removed on disconnection.
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

Great Idea .. !

But as far as I know, these are strategy tools, not for indicators. I didn't think they would work in indicators.

And the strategy wizard makes it very easy to create alarms, chart markings etc.
            We don't have that for indicators.

Still think you need to re-think how strategies are applied and removed.

It's akward and error prone to have to visit each chart every morning just to start the strategy.

Would be better if the strategy "stayed" and there was a button/key to enable live trading or not. Safer too !!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by JonesJoker, 04-22-2024, 12:23 PM
            8 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post JonesJoker  
            Started by timko, Today, 06:45 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post timko