Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart enhancements

It would be useful

1)To be able to scrunch up a chart horizontally a lot more than is currently possible with CTRL up arrow.

2) Without forcing a scroll to the right, it is difficult to know whether you are at the hard right edge. On a few occasions, I thought the price had not moved - it had but I had scrolled one bar (or more) to the left with the mouse wheel. Other packages seem to leave a blank space to the right of the current price but when scrolling back this blank space is removed as the bars fill it up.

3) To have the capability of dragging the entire set of chart barsup and down. It only seems possible to squash the chart vertically by dragging the price line up and down.

4) To be able to plot drawing objects to the right of the current bar.

imported post

Hello rtrader:

Thank you for your post.

1 and 3. Try using the Zoom in feature by clicking on the Magnifying glass icon.

2. Try adjusting your right side margin. This can be found by going to Properties > Right side Margin and setting to a larger number.

4. This is on development's list of possible future enhancements to NT.

Let me know if this works.

Best regards,

Ryan
    RyanNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

Ryan -

Thanks for your reply.

Re (1) - the zoom feature (magnifying glass) zooms in - itdoes not zoom out. By "scrunching up" I meant zooming out or taking a bird's eye view. CTRL up arrow zooms out - but not enough to show a reasonable amount of history.

Re(3) - the magnifying glass zoomsin - it does not "move" the chart (bars) up and down.

Re(2) - I know about setting the right side margin. What I am saying is that, unlike some other charting packages, there seems to beno way of seeing at a glance if you are looking at the currently forming bar or a historic bar. No great problem though.....

Comment

imported post

Hi,

1) Can you upload an image with data on a chart fully compressed? My charts compress very tight but I have another user who has mentioned they should be compressed tighter.

3) We do not support moving the bar set vertically. This is on our list.

2) Can you elaborate? How does another charting package differentiate between the current bar and a historic bar? With NT, if the current bar is NOT visible, the price markers in the Y margin turn to a gray color. This color is an option under properties, "Color for inactive price markers"

Ray
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

Ray -

Attached ER2 20T chart fully compressed. It would be very useful to be able to view more that this especially if trading off one chart - eg for drawing objects that may need to span several hours, a day or more.
          Attached Files

Comment

imported post

Ray -

This chart from another package shows same ER2 20T chart compressed over several days.
            Attached Files

Comment

imported post

Re. your question. Other package chart - display of current price bar with right side margin.

(How do I attach multiple files?)
              Attached Files

Comment

imported post

Other package chart - display of historicbars with right side margin being removed.
                Attached Files

Comment

imported post

I see, the right side margin is only used for the current bar and not historical bars. I guess our approach is to color the price markers in the y-margin differently.

Thanks for posting the bar compression image.

Comment

imported post

Fwiw, the ability to tightly and quickly compress a chart if very useful to identify recent swing hi/lows (support and resistance zones) that may have scrolled off the chart. Sure, one could scroll to the left to see these but then would lose sight of the hard right edge. Thanks for considering rtrader's suggestions.

Regards,

Whitmark
                    whitmark
                    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Whitmark Development

Comment

Any release date for this enhancement?

Have you any news on when the compression functionality will be enhanced? I have now run Ninja on two boxes - one Intel based with Matrox cards and another AMD based with Nvidia cards and the chart compression is still restricted.

It is frustrating not being able to compress a small timeframe chart to show more of the day as I presented in the images I uploaded.

Thanks.

Comment

No update right now.

Comment

rtrader wrote:

2) Without forcing a scroll to the right, it is difficult to know whether you are at the hard right edge. On a few occasions, I thought the price had not moved - it had but I had scrolled one bar (or more) to the left with the mouse wheel. Other packages seem to leave a blank space to the right of the current price but when scrolling back this blank space is removed as the bars fill it up.
                          I heartily agree with rtrader's concern. In the industrial or aviation worlds NT would be considered a MMI, a man machine interface, whose main purpose is to protect the trader from screwing up. Most charts are busy enough already, and a subtle change in the Y margin price marker color would not likely be seen.

I like the way NT changes the background of the chart trader window to gray from brown when the sim account is chosen. That's the kind of "scream in your ear" notice that should announce that the current bar is hidden -- or gray the bars, or display a big right pointing arrow -- something no one could miss. Make it selectable in properties for those who don't want / need it, but please make it obvious.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide input.

Regards.

dwt
                          Last edited by dwt__; 11-29-2007, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by hazylizard, Today, 08:38 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
                          Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post geddyisodin