Collapse

Swing High/Low and Zig Zag Indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may want to try latest custom build holding the swing indicator. Please:
    - uninstall NT6 via control panel
    - clear your browser cache
    - install latest custom build from here: https://www.ninjatrader-support.com/...er.Install.msi

Comment

ZigZag release

Many thanks for releasing the ZigZag. I can't seem to get it to pivot from the high of the bar on a swing high and the low of the bar on the swing low though - the options doesn't seem to support this. However, this is a small issue and I can fix it.

Great work!

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the indicators.

Comment

As the originator of the Zig Zag and Swing High/Low indicator request (not to assume it wasn't on your list in the first place ), I want to thank you for the quick turnaround to get these sophisticated indicators out the door.

In testing out the ZigZag, one significant issue I discovered was that the indicator was limited in its operation to single data series element (e.g., Close, High, Low, or Open) and not correctly alternating between bar Highs (zig) and bar Lows (zag) extremes.

Zig Zag - based on a fixed or percentage retracement amount relative to a high (low) bar, with a lookback period of y bars.
          While the current single series implementation might be useful when applied to single series indicator, it is not a typical application as commonly applied to a OHLC price series. I might suggest the introduction of an override "UseHighLow" parameter that can be set to "true" to apply the traditional high/low ZigZag display and set to "false" to elect the current implementation.

I would also add, that unlike the Swing indicator, the ZigZag indicator does not yet supply a data series to determine the number of bars ago a ZigZag High or Low point occurred. These values are critical to any programmatic use of this indicator.

Thanks for your consideration of these enhancements. Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Whitmark
          whitmark
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Whitmark Development

Comment

a) We'll add the High/Low issue to our list. Christian will come back to you in case.
            b) We have the data series issue on our list already. Thanks

Comment

Hello Whitmark !

Originally posted by whitmark View Post

While the current single series implementation might be useful when applied to single series indicator, it is not a typical application as commonly applied to a OHLC price series. I might suggest the introduction of an override "UseHighLow" parameter that can be set to "true" to apply the traditional high/low ZigZag display and set to "false" to elect the current implementation.

Thank you for the suggestion for the UseHighLow property. Attached is the new implementation of the ZigZag indicator, including your suggestion. Can you please check if this implementation hits your needs ?

Thank you and kind regards,
              Christian
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_Christian; 06-29-2007, 03:58 AM.
              ChristianSenior Software Developer

Comment

ZigZag Feedback

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your hard work on the ZigZag indicator. I suspect there will be many a happy camper when this get's tweaked out as the ZigZag indicator is a great tool for identifying market swings based on fixed retracements vs bar strength. I did install the indicator and noticed a few things outlined below:
                1. As you can see in the attached exhibit, it doesn't look like the indicator is reaching the extreme highs/lows as I would have expected. I've also attached a zigzag from another non-TS platform I use that has a solid implementation of this indicator. You might also notice the use of different line colors for up, down, and "don't know yet" which is a very useful feature.
                  -
                2. When I first load the indicator I see 4 parameters, and select "Use high and low = True" but after I apply it, the price type disappears (see attached). Is this intended?
                  -
                3. I did not see any reference to the ZigZagHighBar or ZigZagLowBar dataseries on the indicator. Is this available yet?
                  -
                4. For extra credit, I've also shared an exhibit of a "right shifted" zigzag that is very useful since most traders are interested knowing the bars ago of the last occurence of a pivot point and not the first occurence within the same zig or zag of prices (see attached.) Perhaps a "Shift Same Pivot" parameter can be considered.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions on this or could use additional feedback. Thanks.

Regards,

Whitmark
                Attached Files
                whitmark

Comment

Hi Mark !

I send you an e-mail with answers and explanations.

Kind regards,
                  Christian

Comment

Hey Christian,

Got it and have replied in kind. Thanks for spearheading this development effort.

Regards,

Whitmark
                    whitmark

Comment

Christian
                      Would it be possible to share your comments to whitmark so others following this thread can be brought up to date?

Comment

Hi,

1) As far as we’ve seen in our tests, the ZigZag is implemented correctly. Nevertheless there are different definitions and implementations for the ZigZag indicator available.
                        2) This is intended. When use high/low is true, the selection of the price type is not necessary (because it is always high and low selected). For that we made it not visible.
                        3) It is not available yet, but will be implemented in the next major overhaul.
                        4) We've put this feature on our list for future development.

Kind regards,
                        Christian

Comment

ZigZagSwing

Thanks Christian,

Since an indicator's beauty (er functionality) is in the eye of the beholder (er developer), I was motivated to roll my own version of the ZigZag indicator using an approach I was already familiar with . . pls see attached. This version incorporates:
                          • points or percent retracement option.
                          • separate draw colors for up/down swings (e.g., blue & red).
                          • third draw color for incomplete swing (e.g., orange).
                          • "right shift" pivot for high/lows of same value.
                          • interim high/low values for each ZigZag swing (e.g., lightgreen & pink) that alternate when a swing locks.
                          • additional zzPivotValue, zzBarsAgo, zzDirection values available when indicator used as part of a strategy or for pattern recognition purposes.
                          • drawn or plotted values can be suppressed.

Thought it might be inspiration for those who might endeavor to spice up a standard indicator although, I am not sure how much effort it would take to get the standard ZigZag to this point since I did not start with it.

Regards,

Whitmark
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by whitmark; 07-05-2007, 10:51 AM.
                          whitmark

Comment

Looks good Whitmark!
                            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Whitmark

Your indicator is for business purposes? or you think you can share with the less skilled people.

Regards,

good work

Comment

Thanks . . . I appreciate the kudos and PMs. Frankly, there is too much going on in this indicator to distribute it as freeware not to mention my limited bandwidth to address likely follow-up questions. I haven't decided whether I will distribute it at all but I know Ray and Christian welcome feedback on how to improve their indicator offerings, as this thread will attest.

Also, please use a private message for inquiries of this nature or my contact info that can be found on my website that is linked to the NinjaScript Consultants page.

Regards,

Whitmark
                                whitmark

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
                                0 responses
                                1 view
                                0 likes
                                Last Post RubenCazorla  
                                Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                                2 responses
                                1 like
                                Last Post BarzTrading  
                                Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                                Started by tkaboris, Today, 08:01 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post tkaboris  
                                Started by EB Worx, 04-04-2023, 02:34 AM
                                7 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post VFI26
                                by VFI26