Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT6.5 Strategy: PLEASE DO NOT HIDE ERRORS IN THE LOG ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT6.5 Strategy: PLEASE DO NOT HIDE ERRORS IN THE LOG ;)

Seriously.

I had that fact yesterday. Strategy has error. Exception thrown.

The strategy is nice and green in the grid. WHOW. Please. Turn it yellow.

And while we are at it - what about not killing the exception but providing it? Including the stack trace Why do I ahve to try to repro it (not always easy, not if it is in the OnMarketData method) just to get the exception?

Suggestion:
    * Provide full exception on request for exceptions logged in the log.
    * Strategies with an error should show a SOLID WARNING (yellow?) in the grid.
    * you are aware of taht thing called window pop? Bring it up if something non-expected happens. Heck, sound something. Why do I get funny sounds for every order entered into the system manually, but when a strategy creates an exception and stops, nothing is crying? THIS is where I would expect an alarm siren to go on, the screen to flash red and the system trying to get my attention.

Have a look at http://www.infragistics.com/dotnet/n....aspx#Overview

I would expect something likt that to happen. Exception in a running strategy? CRY FOR ME. Dont hide it in the logs - and show a nice green in the grid.

Hello NetTecture,

You can modify the color of Log-tab rows at Tools-->Options-->Log-tab.

Did the trace file list the error you experienced? Go to My Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->trace and open the trace file for yesterday and check if you see the error listed at the time you experienced the error.

You can forward the trace file as well for me to check what happened. Please send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com, reference this forum thread and put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header.

In addition, I will forward your suggestion to have NinjaTrader indicate such an error more clearly.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, I can change the error color in the log tabs.

Read my email again. I dont want to ahve to go to the logs tab to see a strategy has an error. So, sorry, changing the color does not help

Same with trace files.

This is not about not being able to get the error. It is about your programming team making it inconvenient to see the error. When I run strategies, I want to be informed when an error happens RIGHT THERE, RIGHT THEN.

I get more information about normal operations (order filled sounds, ordere entered sounds) than I do about critical errors happening (no sound, strategy stays green, no warning popping up).

THIS is wrong. Not the color in the logs tab. The whole UI experience is upside down. I dont really care THAT much about order entries from my strategies. A lot less than my strategy crashing and you not providing ANY immediate feedback.

Now understood? THis is a matter of putting critical things IN MY FACE, and not hiding them in a log.

Comment

My tip:

Use the Microsoft CLR Debugger and set a breakpoint whenever an exception is thrown.
        There is a post in the forum search for CLR Debugger (it is free)
        You will never look back to the Print statements.

2. I am very careful with my strategies, but exceptions happen and usually I catch them and throw a message in the log.

Regards
        Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by zweistein View Post
          My tip:

Use the Microsoft CLR Debugger and set a breakpoint whenever an exception is thrown.
          There is a post in the forum search for CLR Debugger (it is free)
          You will never look back to the Print statements.

2. I am very careful with my strategies, but exceptions happen and usually I catch them and throw a message in the log.

Regards
          Andreas
          Well, I have vs.net installed. But why should i have to keep a debugger attached all the time, just to see the line the error happened?

The info is there, they should expose it. I am seriously disappointed by the priorities the NinjaTrader developers or architects have put up here. I get tons of partialyl annoying infos (basically every order enter and cancel gets me a nice sound), but something criitical such as an exception in an automatic strategy is hidden in a log - no audio feedback, the strategy is not even shown as having thrown an error in the grid. This is, seirously, priorities upside down.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post adeelshahzad  
          Started by merzo, 06-25-2023, 02:19 AM
          10 responses
          1 like
          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ