Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Object Information and Other Concepts

Hi!

It would sure be nice to be able to select and/or hover on the charts and get information about the objects (contextually.)

For example, if I select a bar, instead of giving me a bunch of boxes to indicate that I can move all of them to another panel, how about a tooltip or semi-transparent description of what it is?

Selecting a bar could give me details such as the various price points (high, low, etc.) as well as a semi-transparent (grayed) overlay on the date-time and price margin bars so I know where I am at. That would save me from having to draw horizontal and vertical lines every time I want to see what I am looking at.

Also, maybe price data "where" I selected--such as the price on an indicator line when I click on the middle of it.

Though not related, I would like to be able to use the crosshair and then press the left mouse button to draw the crosshair on the chart. The vertical direction should "snap to the bar" like the vertical line does.

If any of this is possible, please let me know.

I was debugging connection issues with Ray yesterday. I would like to have a way to spy on the data feed a little to verify that data is being transmitted between the outside world and NT. I think that would be a great debugging tool, even if it looks like the Matrix to the uninformed. To keep it simple, add it to the Connections wizard -- like a Test Connection panel that exercises both the live feeds, but also historic as well. You could ship the system with tests that you know will return data in all situations (minute, daily, live, history, etc.) Right now, you have to complete the wizard and then attempt to connect which is clunky.

Now that I am using NT7, I think you should architect your data feeds to work with either 32 or 64-bit versions of NT. Currently, it looks like you are maintaining two sets of source code, and I am forever limited to NT7 32-bit until Ameritrade does a 64 bit port. There is no reason I can fathom why you need to "feed engine" to be tied to the target platform. That should be a seperate, black box that feeds either version.

Sorry for the random rumblings.

Thanks!
    Michael

Michael, first of all thanks for taking the time to post your detailed suggestions and input.

For drawing object info, you could select them > right click > Properties > Data

For the bars series info - are you aware of the middle mouse button mini data box giving you the basic info such as DateTime, OHLCV?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks!

Hi!

I am aware of the right-click on the drawing object. However, the middle mouse button I was not aware of. The only downside is that won't work in Windows 7 since Microsoft hi-jacked it for CTL+TAB functionality (at least with the Microsoft Intellisense mouse.) I tried to bypass it in the Mouse properties but don't see a way to do that (though I can make the wheel button do about anything else I want.)

Anyway, I appreciate you writing back!

Thanks!
      Michael

Comment

You're welcome - I believe it might need than an updated Intellisense driver / software version perhaps, remember an issue with a too old Logitech SetPoint software and roughly the same middle wheel issue.

Comment

Microsoft Mouse

Actually, it is the latest from Microsoft for Windows 7 and their mouse interface. They offer complete control over how it is used, but I don't see a way to allow the active program to override the behavior (I half looked into it.) I will investigate, but I have a feeling that your "middle wheel" approach may become more of an issue as the OS takes it over in future releases.

Regardless, the middle wheel is not a good interface IMHO for accomplishing what I am suggesting anyway. There are subtle ways to morph the information into the interface in regards to the objects and mouse location on the chart--as soon as you guys get off WinForms and onto the WPF/Silverlight bandwagon of course. Charting in NT needs much more lipstick!

Comment

Accessing Mini Data Box without middle wheel please?

Originally posted by moflaherty View Post
            I have a feeling that your "middle wheel" approach may become more of an issue as the OS takes it over in future releases.
            Hi NT Team - I can't use the Mini Data Box because I normally work from a laptop without a mouse - let alone a middle wheel! Would it be possible to make an enhancement by allowing the user to choose another way (e.g. through Hot Key selection) to access this info? If only the Mini Data Box could be accessed by pressing and holding the left mouse button on the required bar...

Many thanks for looking into this!

Comment

Z-ordering of objects in charts without middle wheel

The same would apply to the great Z-ordering of paint objects. I know, I should buy a mouse with a middle wheel, but it would be great to have a greater level of customisation for these great new functions. Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks for the input on this area, we'll add this to our feedback list and will review once we've rolled NT7 production which is our main focus at this point in time.

(the regular data box could be shown with Ctrl D)

Comment

Understood, many thanks again

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                  5 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                  Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM