Wish List - 3 Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish List - 3 Items

I've started using NT recently and there are 3 things I still miss from Quote Tracker and other software I've used such as TradeStation, eSignal and Ensign.

1) Constant Range Bars also known as momentum bars. Since tick bars and volume are available, this should be easy to program.

2) Quick key for forced backfill. I've noticed if I lose the internet connection for a few minutes the charts do not automatically backfill and I haven't found a quick and simple way to force the charts to backfill. One workaround is to delete the chart and recreate it but this takes time. On QT you just hit Ctrl F and presto all charts backfill.

3) I'd love to save workspaces. Luckily the workspace of all charts and market watch is completely saved on program exit (whew), but I'd like to save multiple workspaces in a file much as chart templates are saved. The code seems to exist for saving at least the last used workspace on exit so it doesn't seem too difficult to add a dialog box to give a workspace a name and save it.

#2. Hit F5 to refresh your chart. I believe that will backfill your charts for you.
    #3. I know they are trying to implement this in the future, but for now you can try this method. Create a workspace and exit NinjaTrader for it to save. Then go to My Documents\NinjaTrader 6\workspaces and save out the Default.xml. Whenever you want to use that particular workspace just copy back in that Default.xml. You need to do this before you load NinjaTrader each time you want to change workspaces. Not ideal, but it gets the job done for now.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info. This will come in handy.

Comment

1 and 3 will be available by fall time frame.

Comment

Thanks for the response

I'm glad to hear those features are in the works.

Comment

I would definitely like to see #3

Comment

Originally posted by uacvax View Post
              #2. Hit F5 to refresh your chart. I believe that will backfill your charts for you.
              Not sure this does any kind of backfill, .. at least not for me.

You can kind of do it using format data series, but that's clunky at best.

I'd certainly '2nd' all three suggestions

Comment

Workspace enhancement

In terms of the workspace enhancement planned for the fall release, I'm hoping that the workspace environment similar to what TradeStation uses is being planned. It is fairly straight forward but powerful and elegant in its simplicity.

Basically, they have a layout where there are tabs at the bottom that allow the user to switch between tabs. For example, one tab might be called "market internal charts" and another tab might be called "IWM charts" and another tab might be called "Gold Futures charts", etc. What this approach allows for is access to a good # of charts in a very organized fashion without the need to have lots of monitors.

You can easily add tabs, remove tabs, rename tabs to manage the workspace environment. When the workspace is initialized, the charts behind the tabs get updated with data and then as you're connected to your live data source the data is constantly refreshed on the non-active tabs. So, that when you switch tabs to look at other charts the data is already up to date. Essentially the same as having charts on multiple monitors; just makes it easier on the user and less hardware (monitor, electricity, video card, etc.) requirements

Not sure if the requirements for that feature have already been finalized. I wonder what other users think of this approach? On that topic, have you thought about having a live chat where some of the new features planned for future releases can be communicated to NT users to get there feedback before the cart is so far down the path it can't be stopped ? From past experiences in previous jobs I know that "focus groups" can sometimes be frustrating but it does give a forum for users to communicate their thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by zoltran View Post
                  Not sure this does any kind of backfill, .. at least not for me.

You can kind of do it using format data series, but that's clunky at best.

I'd certainly '2nd' all three suggestions
                  Mm it would appear you are correct. My bad. I think changing the time interval works as well as format data series. But yes. Clunky at best.
                  Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Greg1,

Chat is a feature on our list of possible enhancements.
                    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Tabs separate from workspace files

In response to Greg1's ideas on workspaces, I think tabs are perfectly fine for those who switch quickly between workspaces but I think the workspace file for names of different workspaces should be separate. In other words, using tabs would be optional. I might want to have 10 different work spaces but only 2 tabs open during market hours. Some workspaces would contain setups for experimental work and others for long term historical analysis. There's no sense slowing down the computer and using up ram updating those workspaces in real time but I still want easy access after hours. Also if the current workspace with tabs somehow gets corrupted by an unintentional shut down, the original workspaces can be easily recovered if the tab system is separate.

Comment

Thanks for your input. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                        Started by f.saeidi, Today, 08:13 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB