My learning curve with NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My learning curve with NT

I hope that NT will take this (warts and all) in the constructive manner in which it is intended.
    I started using NT6.5 approx 2 years ago.
    I had coded in Easy Language to a reasonable level but have no other program training at all. I have traded for about 5 years full time.
    I learnt Easy Language from Tradestation's resources and the enormously helpful forums.

My transition to NT was difficult but overall worth it.

Anybody trying to get into NT here is my take of the pros and cons

Pros

1.C# (.NET) is a very useful language in that you can program just about anything (see cons 1 tho)
    2. Charting is fabulous - it has it's niggles but overall very good.
    3.Speed was the thing I noticed moving from tradestation - I was always slowing down, data lagging, etc with TS but I don't get that with NT.
    4. The chart can be interactive ie you can use the mouse to click and shoot ( you have to program this).
    5. ChartTrader - almost excellent but still a little clunky (IMHO). I do not use DOM.

Cons
    1. C#(.NET) - took me about a year or more to get reasonably fluent with it. As a non programmer you have to accept this is a steep learning curve. And I mean steep.
    2. Support - poor. Everything useful is not supported - trust me I have asked.
    NT have difficulties in that C# really means you can do anything and I understand they can't support everything but at times it can get very frustrating...
    More so as a beginning script writer because until you 'get' C# ,support responses seem quite.. ahem - 'difficult'. ( Perhaps they don't realise that you don't know you're asking a dumb question because a bit like the Matrix you haven't yet got to the point to know how to ask the right question )
    3. Forums - not anywhere near the scope of Tradestation but getting slowly better. Other sites like Big Mike Trading help as well.

4. NT7 is much better but it is still much less stable than say TS - it needs to be traded and left alone ( ie develop on your laptop, trade on your desktop)
    Finally - is there something better out there - I don't know but currently I am quite happy. NT7 is a vast improvement on 6.5 but personally I think NT9 will be the daddy(lol).
    I look at eveything out there and overall for the price I think NT just scrape in - they do need to improve their development cycle however ( 20 betas so far for NT7 seems a little excessive). There are other new boys on the block nipping at their tails.

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed report and feedback.

I have forwarded it up to development.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post CactusMan  
    Started by giulyko00, Yesterday, 12:03 PM
    2 responses
    0 likes