Save drawing items until erased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save drawing items until erased

It would be good for drawing items to be saved and maintained with a chart until erased (I know various ways of doing this are being considered -- check out eSignal's scheme which is very nice). I find I sometimes have to restart NinjaTrader if my internet is lost and the drawing items are gone -- so sad. Also I have a number of indicators that are updated using "Reload NinjaScript" which also seems to erase the items I have already drawn on the charts.

Hi Richard:

Thanks again for your suggestion here.

We will be releasing our next major development of the NT application, NT 6.5 this Fall! We will make an announcement when this becomes available in beta release as there is no exact eta at this time.

I did want to make you aware that this version will have the ability to save your charts into a workspace option that allows for Drawing tools to be saved onto the chart and will not be lost due to a closing of the chart or a restart of the application.

Enjoy your day and happy trading.
    Last edited by NinjaTraderEcosystem_Ryan; 09-21-2007, 01:50 PM.
    RyanNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

If I understand correctly, that sounds like just what I want. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Was this feature actually included? This is exactly the way I was hoping the drawing items would be handled (anything you draw on the chart for a specific contract stays on the chart until it is manually removed), but it's not what I'm noticing as I'm trying out the software.

This "workspaces" feature seems to save drawing items, but only if the charts are left open. It is not uncommon to track a couple dozen contracts at any one time, and leaving all of those charts open constantly would be a mess.

Here's a simple example the illustrate what I consider to be a serious miss-assumption:
        1) Open a daily chart for AAPL (pick your favorite)
        2) Draw a ray
        3) Close the chart
        4) Open the exact same daily chart for AAPL
        ?) The ray is gone???

If I were to write notes on a chart, I'd do so hoping to see those notes every time I pulled up that chart. I would not expect those notes to be erased just because I closed the chart window, restarted the application, or switched the underlying contract. I would expect those notes to remain there until I explicitly removed them myself.

Drawing items are just a visual form of notes, and should be handled likewise.

Additionally, drawing items should be associated with the underlying contract, not the individual instance of the chart itself.

Maybe I'm the odd-one-out on desiring this type of charting behavior (and if so I'll continue my search for a technical analysis platform that suits me), but I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this logic.

Edit: Because one of the previous posts said 6.5 would be out in the fall, I assumed that the version I downloaded this past week was 6.5. After checking, I'm only on version 6.0. Hopefully the new "workspaces" feature handles the charts as described above.
        Last edited by ryanmohr; 01-25-2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Unfortunatley it does not work as you have described.
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Will you elaborate as to why? Is there any kind of plugin-API that could allow me to modify the behavior of ninjatrader charts to work this way?

Comment

Unfortuntately I have no explanation other than that was how we decided to implement it. I will take your comment as a suggestion and include it on our list of future possible enhancements.
              RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks. Why not run a poll and see how others would prefer it?

Comment

I'm totally confused as to what the new release will allow.

Comment

Hello Richard,

You can find all improvements and new features of NinjaTrader 6.5 in the link below.

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post sarafuenonly123  
                    Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes