Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Use Another Workspace Name

In testing, I frequently get the following error message:

And after restarting NinjaTrader I find that my workspace has been obliterated.

Worse, my clients occasionally see this message during live trading.

Please, please, please, if NinjaTrader really must write out the workspace when it has already recognized that there's a problem, please either rename the current workspace file, or change the name to something like "ProblemShutdownWorkspace.xml" before writing it out.

To help your problem resolution triage along, I claim that this is another improvement that should take under 5-minutes to implement (so don't bother answering this, just make the change!)
    Attached Files

Hello KBJ,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, unexpected shut downs can result in the corruption of the .xml files which the workspaces are made out of. Our current reccomendation is that you backup your workspaces periodically. That said, I do understand your point and will forward your comments on to development for further consideration. Thank you for your feedback.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
      Unfortunately, unexpected shut downs can result in the corruption of the .xml files which the workspaces are made out of. Our current reccomendation is that you backup your workspaces periodically. That said, I do understand your point...
      Kyle, thanks for taking the time to answer me.

The real problem here is that the Workspace is altered at exactly the same time that the error message is displayed.

Thus, my complaint/suggestion...

Since Ninja is updating the Workspace file after the error has been detected by Ninja, then either:
      • the workspace update should not occur, or
      • the workspace update should only be done with the user's permission, or
      • the workspace update should be written to another output filename (as I suggested earlier.)

And regarding the last part of my earlier request... Between the two of us, we've already spent more time that it would take to just make the change.

So, thanks for understanding these points.

Comment

Wow.

It just got me again. Workspace overwritten with junk. Old workspace file gone.

Not very special.

As an alternate possibility, if renaming the workspace file is more complex than I thought it would be, how about if the old workspace file were deleted before the new one was written out, so that the old one goes into the recycle bin?

I know that deleting a file so that it goes into the recycle bin (instead of it just disappearing forever into the great bit bucket in the sky) is not something that is supported by C#, but it still can be done in a number of other ways (see for instance: C# Send Files or Folder to Recycle Bin).

I hope that one of these ideas can be implemented so workspaces can somehow or other be recovered if they get deleted or overwritten with junk.

Thanks.

Comment

KBJ,

Sorry to hear about the workspace issue, but thank you for taking the time to write in with your feedback and recommendations. I will forward this information to development.
          KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader Workspace and Shutdown Enhancement

I just had a similar problem and noticed that the error message is now different in NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.4.

This is a nice improvement since it gives users a choice.

Thanks.
            Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post jeronymite  
            Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
            4 responses